OP
OP
M

Max The New reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pond is bare bones. Has a skimmer inside it standing in the corner next to the bucket filter. Have about 150lbs of sand in the bottom, it gets blown and pushed all over. I have a few wave makers to prevent water from going stagnant. Personally i wouldn't try to keep anything with the rays.
oh wait, its bare bones, I'm silly

OP
OP
M

Max The New reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ello, again, I have constructed a plan for my ray tank
I will get a 120 or 150 water container, I'll it with a canister filter and a protein skimmer that is a little overkill, I'll put some powerful powerheads for water movement and some very basic led lighting that will look nice and is cheap, oh also some sand, thought?

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shark tank in da house
Welcome aboard

ZomboMeme 29102020200526.jpg

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly advise against this venture as there is almost no way to keep this in your budget for startup, let alone keeping up with the price of salt for large-volume water changes, the food for the ray(s), replacement equipment for inevitable mechanical failures, quality testing reagents and supplies, etc. Instead, try keeping something a bit more realistic until you are established financially. Until then, research, plan, and study so that you have a very strong foundation in place and can dive right in, as it were! Always plan ahead. Round rays can, with proper care, live over a decade. Where will you be in 10 years? Will you need to move? Go to college? Potentially get a job where you won't have the time to commit to these animals who depend on you? I don't mean to sound harsh, but these all need to be considered. Transporting marine life is extremely stressful for them and with species that need more advanced care, knowing your own limits is the responsible thing to do.
Personally, I'd dreamt of having a cuttlefish tank since I was a kid, but their care and space requirements are very specific, on top of them being extremely delicate. I just got married last year, and I know we'll be moving again in the next few months now. I have a 200 gallon tank already, but its in the best interest of those cuttlefish that I not set up their tank now, but to instead just be patient and to set everything up when I can reasonably give them the very best care possible. These aren't just some fish in a box, these living creatures depend on us for everything. Its our job to do right by them

OP
OP
M

Max The New reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly advise against this venture as there is almost no way to keep this in your budget for startup, let alone keeping up with the price of salt for large-volume water changes, the food for the ray(s), replacement equipment for inevitable mechanical failures, quality testing reagents and supplies, etc. Instead, try keeping something a bit more realistic until you are established financially. Until then, research, plan, and study so that you have a very strong foundation in place and can dive right in, as it were! Always plan ahead. Round rays can, with proper care, live over a decade. Where will you be in 10 years? Will you need to move? Go to college? Potentially get a job where you won't have the time to commit to these animals who depend on you? I don't mean to sound harsh, but these all need to be considered. Transporting marine life is extremely stressful for them and with species that need more advanced care, knowing your own limits is the responsible thing to do.
Personally, I'd dreamt of having a cuttlefish tank since I was a kid, but their care and space requirements are very specific, on top of them being extremely delicate. I just got married last year, and I know we'll be moving again in the next few months now. I have a 200 gallon tank already, but its in the best interest of those cuttlefish that I not set up their tank now, but to instead just be patient and to set everything up when I can reasonably give them the very best care possible. These aren't just some fish in a box, these living creatures depend on us for everything. Its our job to do right by them
so I have considered what you are saying, and wanted to add my things, first my father takes care of aquariums, not to this scale though, and his girlfriend actually breeds fish and has worked at fish stores aquariums etc, I don't have college for 8 years, and by then I have a feeling I'm going to a college less then 3 hours away, but that's another subject, The other thing is my plan has changed I'm doing a less than 200 tank (I'm gonna get one used that is in the upper 100s) and a single ray with maybe a cleaner fish or 2, which is alot less expensive, the main price is gonna be a kick butt protein skimmer, I'm good on long term cost, and can make the money to feed it monthly ( I intend to get it on frozen food, water isn't a issue, I added up the coasts and my hope is its under 1000 dollars upfront if I can find good deals, another thing, The thing I wanted to avoid was having to save up several thousand dollars which for me would take a while, I should have made it clearer that I'm only doing a 150ish gallon tank now

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I have considered what you are saying, and wanted to add my things, first my father takes care of aquariums, not to this scale though, and his girlfriend actually breeds fish and has worked at fish stores aquariums etc, I don't have college for 8 years, and by then I have a feeling I'm going to a college less then 3 hours away, but that's another subject, The other thing is my plan has changed I'm doing a less than 200 tank (I'm gonna get one used that is in the upper 100s) and a single ray with maybe a cleaner fish or 2, which is alot less expensive, the main price is gonna be a kick butt protein skimmer, I'm good on long term cost, and can make the money to feed it monthly ( I intend to get it on frozen food, water isn't a issue, I added up the coasts and my hope is its under 1000 dollars upfront if I can find good deals, another thing, The thing I wanted to avoid was having to save up several thousand dollars which for me would take a while, I should have made it clearer that I'm only doing a 150ish gallon tank now
Its nice that your dad and his girlfriend have a lot of experience in fishkeeping, as that will doubtless be helpful for you in the future, but you've still got several oversights on the importance of being self-reliant when you have exotic pets. Even a 150 gallon tank is a lot if you don't have a full income. Regardless of how many or what kind of fish you have, you still need regular tank maintenance and that cost adds up. If your dad has an RO/DI unit, he's using up resin and filters much faster by making enough water to support the tank. It's also his space that you'll be using, have you discussed this project with him to make sure he is prepared to help you financially and whether he had any plans for the room in his house? As cool as it would be, there are just a lot of factors it seems like you haven't taken into consideration and we all want to see you succeed here. My advice isn't to never get your ray tank, its just to hold off for a couple years until you're able to take on this project properly, without relying on someone else's assets, if that makes sense.

FullSend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see rays or sharks working. The money simply doesn't line up. You could possibly work to get the money, I'd still recommend staying away from such a large commitment to a single fish/ray. Even if you managed it, I don't think rays are all that active. I think you will end up with an expensive large bucket of water with a pancake that sometimes ate another fish or shrimp. Just a few years from now you're going to be looking to potentially buy a car and explore all of the options to spend your free time with your new found freedom.

On a positive note, I have a few alternatives you could look into.

If you enjoy the shape of a ray, I'd recommend googling reticulated hillsteam loaches. They stay small, would easily fit in a much smaller aquarium, and don't have a large upkeep cost. They aren't rays or sharks or even saltwater for that matter, but it would be much more do-able. I have owned an aquarium with them. They were always out shimmying around looking for food or jockeying with each ever for the perfect rock.

If you're dead set on salt water, a nano with clowns and/or a blenny would likely be a better option. Clowns are classic, always out front with their distinct swimming style. On the flip side, I haven't owned a more obnoxious fish than a plain lawnmower blenny. I once almost lost him/her, because they had wedged themselves into a piece of live rock I removed. I had to scramble looking every where until I found them still clinging to the underside of the partially dried rock.

If you're stuck on predatory fish, maybe a smaller scorpion fish, angler fish, or lion fish? I'm not an expert on this topic, but I do think they fit in the 30-50g tank range. Someone else could weigh in here.

If you're still on monster fish, I'd go buy a fishing rod or a snorkel set.

Good luck with whichever route you take!

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see rays or sharks working. The money simply doesn't line up. You could possibly work to get the money, I'd still recommend staying away from such a large commitment to a single fish/ray. Even if you managed it, I don't think rays are all that active. I think you will end up with an expensive large bucket of water with a pancake that sometimes ate another fish or shrimp. Just a few years from now you're going to be looking to potentially buy a car and explore all of the options to spend your free time with your new found freedom.

If you enjoy the shape of a ray, I'd recommend googling reticulated hillsteam loaches. They stay small, would easily fit in a much smaller aquarium, and don't have a large upkeep cost. They aren't rays or sharks or even saltwater for that matter, but it would be much more do-able. I have owned an aquarium with them. They were always out shimmying around looking for food or jockeying with each ever for the perfect rock.

If you're dead set on salt water, a nano with clowns and/or a blenny would likely be a better option. Clowns are classic, always out front with their distinct swimming style. On the flip side, I haven't owned a more obnoxious fish than a plain lawnmower blenny. I once almost lost him/her, because they had wedged themselves into a piece of live rock I removed. I had to scramble looking every where until I found them still clinging to the underside of the partially dried rock.

If you're stuck on predatory fish, maybe a smaller scorpion fish, angler fish, or lion fish? I'm not an expert on this topic, but I do think they fit in the 30-50g tank range. Someone else could weigh in here.

Most anglers/scorpions would be okay under 50 unless you got a huge one. They're not very active, so they don't need a huge space. Lionfish need larger spaces, with most species having a recommended minimum tank size at 120 gallons. Those loaches are adorable. +1 on that suggestion and the nano tanks. You can have some gorgeous budget reefs and FOWLRs in small tanks.

OP
OP
M

Max The New reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my own personal

I'll go step by step on what you said
first price
tank $150
protein skimmer 300
DIY canister filter 150
lighting 100 (doing super basic lights)
powerheads 100
sand 75(getting dry aragonite sand)
water (I have a rodi and a ton of salt)
ray 90
about 1000 bucks
monthly cost is about 30 to 40ish
money isn't a issue my dad also agreed to support me financially a little and if I can get some stuff used that's a plus
fish tanks
I have a 45 jbj AIO reef with clowns and a wellers pistol shrimp combo
I don't like the idea of a freshwater tank, we have several
Last my dad has a frogfish

OP
OP
M

Max The New reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its nice that your dad and his girlfriend have a lot of experience in fishkeeping, as that will doubtless be helpful for you in the future, but you've still got several oversights on the importance of being self-reliant when you have exotic pets. Even a 150 gallon tank is a lot if you don't have a full income. Regardless of how many or what kind of fish you have, you still need regular tank maintenance and that cost adds up. If your dad has an RO/DI unit, he's using up resin and filters much faster by making enough water to support the tank. It's also his space that you'll be using, have you discussed this project with him to make sure he is prepared to help you financially and whether he had any plans for the room in his house? As cool as it would be, there are just a lot of factors it seems like you haven't taken into consideration and we all want to see you succeed here. My advice isn't to never get your ray tank, its just to hold off for a couple years until you're able to take on this project properly, without relying on someone else's assets, if that makes sense.
ok, I see where your coming from, but financially I'm fine please trust me, also it would be in my room, I know that its load and hot but trust me also not a issue. It for me is choosing a ray and finding equitment, I'm not making it for a while so It is just peicing it together, I also am going to have a feeder fish setup, my dad wanted to do this anyway so we are, he has a frogfish so he wanted a feeder fish setup so he agreed to use the extra room he had and make it bigger, (it was gonna be 50 gallons anyway so food isn't a problem, I just need to learn more about the fish

OP
OP
M

Max The New reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Max, Ya ever think about an eel? My son has a 4 footer in his room and it is awesome.
IMG_0752.JPG
I got bit by one once... I considered a snowflake but its alot of effort for a eel that likes to hide, So, in the other thread I made, I stated I liked rays because they are like puppys, you can hand feed them pet them, I was gonna do a 500 gallon tank, (with sharks)which was gonna be my dads tank I would maintain and he thought they ould be these really active little bad butt creatures, but I explained they just kinda hide. I did consider eels though

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah ha, so you’re running two different threads huh?

Here’s OP’s otherthread on the same topic:

Question, if you’re under 14, and college isnt for another 8 years, that implies you’re something like a 10 year old...Is this something people’s parents do? I had to fight for a 55 when I was 14 tbh, and a 100+ was always out of the question....although some of the syntax certainly matches with that of a 10 year old....

OP
OP
M

Max The New reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah ha, so you’re running two different threads huh?

Here’s OP’s otherthread on the same topic:

Question, if you’re under 14, and college isnt for another 8 years, that implies you’re something like a 10 year old...Is this something people’s parents do? I had to fight for a 55 when I was 14 tbh, and a 100+ was always out of the question....although some of the syntax certainly matches with that of a 10 year old....
Trust me I had to yell for 6 months he agreed on these terms pay for the start up and 75% of monthly cost also yeah I'm running 2 threads, I didn't intend it

RJKain-777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my own personal

I'll go step by step on what you said
first price
tank $150
protein skimmer 300
DIY canister filter 150
lighting 100 (doing super basic lights)
powerheads 100
sand 75(getting dry aragonite sand)
water (I have a rodi and a ton of salt)
ray 90
about 1000 bucks
monthly cost is about 30 to 40ish
money isn't a issue my dad also agreed to support me financially a little and if I can get some stuff used that's a plus
fish tanks
I have a 45 jbj AIO reef with clowns and a wellers pistol shrimp combo
I don't like the idea of a freshwater tank, we have several
Last my dad has a frogfish

A skimmer that’s big enough to handle the bio load of a ray, will cost more then $300

cheap power heads ( if your at $100 for all of them there cheap) will need replacing , cause stray current (not good) , or not enough flow.
Canister filters and salt water aren’t a good combo, nitrate factories. Thinking of prestige water for these delicate fish.
Also most rays need a fair size tank (300 gallons or bigger) as they grow to a decent size. Would you want to live in a closet with cheap basic necessities? Or do you want to have the chance to grow, and live a good life.

instead of doing what you want, now, why not wait till your older with more experience, more money, and can care for these animals like they need to be. This isn’t a cheap hobby, and even the smallest of tanks set up properly can cost $1000 or more.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.9%
Back