Planet Aquarium vs. Glass Cages... who has the "better" quality, etc...?

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have been looking at both Planet Aquarium and Glass Cage websites...

And also YouTube videos of tours of both manufacturing facilities...

Along with posts on here - there seems to be good and bad posts about both.

According to a YouTube video by Ryan and BRS - Glass Cages is about the same quality as Marineland and Aqueon (All-Glass)...

While Planet Aquarium is a higher quality tank - just below Reef Savvy.

Anyone have any feelings, input, on one or the other...?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are both good, it just depends on what you want. GC can customize more than Planet, and you can't order directly from Planet, you have to go thru a LFS. My custom tank is from planet but the deciding factor (between planet and GC) was shipping cost. Since I live in Texas (planet is on the Dallas area), it cost a lot less overall for a tank from them.

@Joe Glass Cages is always willing to answer questions and won't steer you wrong, even if you decide not to go with his company.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
out of curiosity, what dimensions and specs are you looking for in the tank setup?

OP
OP
salty150

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
out of curiosity, what dimensions and specs are you looking for in the tank setup?
84 x 24 x 24/25/26 high... ideally...

Haven't decided if it will be braced or not - like the look of a canopy... but also like the open top look - so not too sure...

If braced (canopy) - like the idea of the stainless steel or aluminum bracing...

Will definitely be on a custom cabinet wood stand - most likely made locally.

Rear overflow - either center or one in each rear corner

Low iron glass

Black rear panel

Really like the idea of hidden waterlines (and sand line) that Glass Cages does...

But really want to find the one that looks the best made (nicest looking silicone job, etc.).

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to a YouTube video by Ryan and BRS - Glass Cages is about the same quality as Marineland and Aqueon (All-Glass)...
What a BS statement. Can you link the video? I'm going to assume it's a very old video...

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was turned off of Planet after reading how they sold tanks advertised with Synergy Reef shadow overflows but they were actually fakes. At the time, Synergy Reef only sold thru their website and ahem...Glass Cages.

OP
OP
salty150

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a BS statement. Can you link the video? I'm going to assume it's a very old video...
4 years old...

He has actually said it in more than one video...

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure it is. When I first started in the hobby 15 years ago, Glass Cages had a reputation... and "About on par with Aqueon" would have been right. Chipped/scratched glass and messy seams were pretty common. Basically... they were what they said on the tin. A glass enclosure, but nothing fancy.

My recollection is that started changing 5-6 years ago. And looking it up on Google, looks like current ownership bought Glass Cages back in 2019... five years ago, which tracks with when their reputation started getting better.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Glad I wasn't the only one.

OP - widen your search outside this forum using whichever one you prefer and you will find plenty of positive reviews on both. The correct answer to your question is to simply provide a quote to both and see which one you connect better with. It is free after all.

Glass cages you can visit their portal, fill out some information, and you will get contacted within 24 to 48 hours I bet. That opens the door to further discussions via email or a call. Your choice, no pressure, etc.

Planet Aquarium works a bit differently in that you need to go through a local fish store or a tank maintenance company who uses them for their business. So a bit different process in that you have to go through a middle person.

Get your feature list, have a budget, and go from there. Glass Cages has been around a long while and used to sell coast to coast meeting their semi somewhere along the way. They have since changed hands, owners, and made a lot of changes and/or improvements. Planet aquarium has also been around. As noted above unless you have purchased both, same everything, side by side, and run a reek tank for years it is almost impossible to say which is better. Which is better posts (not directed at you per say) are nothing more than mindstories.

What is best for me may not be best for you. Hopefully that makes sense. Plenty of fellow hobbyist happy with both manufactures. Only you can answer what is right for you and your budget.

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to make this more difficult but if you’d like check out CDA (Crystal Dynamic Aquariums) out of California. Very well built tank and stands. I’ve seen a few build threads on here that have used them that are very happy which led me to their site. Mine is sitting in my garage waiting to get into my basement. Good luck with your search. I hear Customaquariums.com does a solid tank as well.

OP
OP
salty150

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to make this more difficult but if you’d like check out CDA (Crystal Dynamic Aquariums) out of California. Very well built tank and stands. I’ve seen a few build threads on here that have used them that are very happy which led me to their site. Mine is sitting in my garage waiting to get into my basement. Good luck with your search. I hear Customaquariums.com does a solid tank as well.
Thanks!

I looked into Custom Aquariums...

They don't offer internal overflows...

And just paint the outside of the back glass black - if you want the back panel to be black.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm pretty sure it is. When I first started in the hobby 15 years ago, Glass Cages had a reputation... and "About on par with Aqueon" would have been right. Chipped/scratched glass and messy seams were pretty common. Basically... they were what they said on the tin. A glass enclosure, but nothing fancy.

My recollection is that started changing 5-6 years ago. And looking it up on Google, looks like current ownership bought Glass Cages back in 2019... five years ago, which tracks with when their reputation started getting better.
All of that is true. I have been to the studio with the new owners and can tell you they make the best quality in the business. Seriously. It's all so carefully crafted. Quality matters to them.

Jyeef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know that I had looked specifically into glass cages, but I was bouncing between SCA and Planet Aquarium. I'm really happy with my planet aquarium after going into and through a trusted LFS. Very impressed with the build quality. I also hobby in laser cutting, the external overflow was spot on. I also built my own sump, twice, and wish I could be good enough with my seams as the display tank!

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my most recent tank (280g) from Planet Aquarium through my LFS and they made it seamless and easy. The quality is a step or two above anything else I have purchased in the last decade and looks stunning.
How long has it been up? Mind if I DM you some specific questions? That's the approx size I'm looking at if we upgrade after our move

OP
OP
salty150

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that's the size I am looking for also...

96 x 24 x 25 high - or even higher, like 28".

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 17 35.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 15 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back