Planet Aquarium vs. Glass Cages... who has the "better" quality, etc...?

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that's the size I am looking for also...

96 x 24 x 25 high - or even higher, like 28".
I'd suggest you reach out to glass cages. Joe took a call with me and just talked to me like a person, not a #. He was honest, he gave pricing and options and at no time did I feel like he was trying to sell me.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to a YouTube video by Ryan and BRS - Glass Cages is about the same quality as Marineland and Aqueon (All-Glass)...
I would be suspect of a vendor's advice when the vendor has a vested interest to upsell the brands that he carries and downsell ones that he does not.

There may be small differences in aesthetics in the reputable brands, but you are buying customer service and warranty more than anything else. Glass Cages is an extremely reputable brand that provides custom aqariums and top notch customer service. Joe is very responsive and easy to work with.

I can't speak to Planet - I have zero knowledge. They appear to get good reviews, even in this thread.

Reef Savvy appears to make nice stuff, but by many accounts and my personal experience over the last decade or so they are not very responsive.

Ironwill723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, that's the size I am looking for also...

96 x 24 x 25 high - or even higher, like 28".

blennyhana

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll give a different perspective on Planet Aquariums. We experienced absolutely terrible customer service. We purchased an AIO tank by them through a LFS. Somehow, the tank was sealed with a bowed bottom so it wasn’t sitting flat. After multiple emails and photos to planet aquariums, they finally replied admitting that our tank was defective and asked for more photos. We were then ghosted by them and got no further replies to emails and even to this day months later have never heard back. Luckily for us, our LFS replaced the tank. YMMV.

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered a 310 (96” x 30” wide and 25” tall). I worked with both Planet Aquarium through a LFS and GlassCages directly with Joe. I ended up going with the glass cages for a couple reasons but all my research said the quality of the two tanks would have been similar.

1. Shipping was cheaper as I’m in Ohio and GlassCages is in Tennessee vs Texas for Planet
2. It was much easier working with Joe as my LFS would take a week to get a response on any changes I wanted. I actually started talking to them a month before I reached out to Joe and with in hrs he would jump on a call and send me quotes for changes I wanted.
3. I really liked GlassCgaes white trim with low iron euro brace option (not sure if Planet has a similar option)
4. Tank cost was a lot cheaper through Joe. The base mega matrix was in line but as I asked to move the overflow and add an extra pane of low iron the costs went up way more than those options were through GlassCages.
5. I can get a Ghost overflow from GlassCages and Planet only offers their Tideline which reviews say is not as good as the Ghost

Joe and my LFS both knew I was talking to the other so no issues there. I would have been very happy with the Planet if the price would t have went up so much for the few modifications I wanted that were not part of their MegaMarix offering.

I will say GlassCages estimate tool is pretty nice and the price was almost dead on.

Hope this helps

As for the reviews by the way GlassCages has been around for a long time and the product now is much better than what it use to be. I reached out to a lot of people that had recently got tanks from them and there feedback was fantastic (great silicon work and clean finished glass)

Len

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 27 36.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 32.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back