Planning to upgrade...

AngelsNano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m planning an upgrade...thinking the Waterbox Reef 130.4. Looking for opinions on this as well as lighting, return pumps, power heads, etc. WB has an option to include 2 AI Hydra 32HD. I plan on a mixed reef so not sure that these are the best option. They also recommended Vectra L2, M2, or S2 pumps. I’ve not done the research yet on the pumps. For power heads I’m thinking a pair of MP40s with battery backup. Thoughts?

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a mixed reef the hydras might be enough I’m a t5 guy though. I have a vectra m2 and multiple mp40’s and love them.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any those luxery tanks like the waterbox, redsea, cade, fijicube, etc. seem to be nice tanks. What tank you get is more of your preference. The hydras are fine for a mixed reef (I am not sure what your concerns are about those since they are good lights). MP40's are super popular but I can't justify the price. As for pumps, I really like the current eflux pumps. They are dc, super cheap, and super quiet

OP
OP
AngelsNano

AngelsNano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any those luxery tanks like the waterbox, redsea, cade, fijicube, etc. seem to be nice tanks. What tank you get is more of your preference. The hydras are fine for a mixed reef (I am not sure what your concerns are about those since they are good lights). MP40's are super popular but I can't justify the price. As for pumps, I really like the current eflux pumps. They are dc, super cheap, and super quiet
I'm not necessarily looking for a luxury tank...my only experience is with a nano, so this is a big upgrade and I'm a bit nervous about it. I do want starphire glass, and the simplicity of the setup of the tanks you mentioned is VERY appealing since I don't have any real previous setup experience. If you have other suggestions I'd be more than grateful.

Regarding the hydras, I am concerned that two won't be enough - or perhaps there is a better option. Just looking for opinions.

Since I live in hurricane-prone Florida, battery backup is important, which is why I'm considering MP40s. I have a nero 5 on my nano and wish I had gone with the MP10 for the backup ability. I'll check out the eflux pumps. Thank you!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not necessarily looking for a luxury tank...my only experience is with a nano, so this is a big upgrade and I'm a bit nervous about it. I do want starphire glass, and the simplicity of the setup of the tanks you mentioned is VERY appealing since I don't have any real previous setup experience. If you have other suggestions I'd be more than grateful.

Regarding the hydras, I am concerned that two won't be enough - or perhaps there is a better option. Just looking for opinions.

Since I live in hurricane-prone Florida, battery backup is important, which is why I'm considering MP40s. I have a nero 5 on my nano and wish I had gone with the MP10 for the backup ability. I'll check out the eflux pumps. Thank you!

The Hydras will be plenty. If you are concerned, you can always add an AI prime 16HD in the middle. My only complaint about the waterbox is that the sump doesn't allow both a skimmer and refugium. However, I have become a fan of refugium tanks with no skimmer. As for the battery backup, wouldn't you be able to get a battery backup that the wavemakers just plug into?

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 31 53.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.2%
Back