Plastic that comes on new tanks - could it cause Diatoms? Asking for a friend....

LightingBug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an My friend has an IM 20P Pro AIO. It's been running for 4-ish months.

I am having My friend has a diatom problem, been treating it for a few days.

Of note, I also have My friend also has an EVO 13.5 that was set up at the same time with the same salt, water, etc. No diatom bloom.

3 days ago, I realized my friend realized he had left the plastic covering that peels off the back of the overflow/filter compartment on (in my his defense it was really clear) for that entire time. Now it is peeled off.

Would this plastic covering leech silicates (or any baddie) into the system?
PXL_20230730_213703168.jpg

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell your friend that most plastics are made from oil, so it would not make diatoms grow. Some people think that adding silica will increase diatoms. How long was this plastic in your tank? I don't think it has any bearings on water quality.

OP
OP
LightingBug

LightingBug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell your friend that most plastics are made from oil, so it would not make diatoms grow. Some people think that adding silica will increase diatoms. How long was this plastic in your tank? I don't think it has any bearings on water quality.
Well, it has been there for the entire 4-ish months.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 88 41.9%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 104 49.5%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.3%
Back