Platinum pairs...

BriGuy31+

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what do you mean cleaning im new to this clown fish stuff so sorry if i ask any dumb questions

"Cleaning" is a term used to describe the efforts of the broodstock to prepare a suitable nesting site for future spawns(eggs). This is noted by what appears to be the brrodstock biting and twisting at an area of live rock, tile, clay pot, etc. It is a good sign that spawning might be near. Remember, the only dumb question is one that is not asked. We are all here to help :).

JasonPG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of cleaning, it's been about 3 weeks since you noticed the cleaning behavior... any updates?

robsreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one of my clowns seem to be pushing the sand around on the bottom under a rock making like a little nest or a dug out area of the sand

cannon77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify some grading "concerns" I keep seeing on all the forums.........
"Snowcasso"tm That belongs to Donis reef, is a hybrid of a Picasso Perc and a Snowflake Occ. hence the name "Snow Casso" These can only be called "Snowcasso" if they come from her and if you do have "Snowcasso's" from Doni, you are not permitted by law to call your offspring from them "Snowcasso" She trademarked the name and owns it outright. Sorry had to get that out there....On to the grading....
Any irregular bars, but still complete, that stray from the "normal" clown bars are being called Picasso's....fine and expected
So lets break down some basics to grading them....
Semi-picasso or grade "C" picasso will have the abnormal mars with irregular lines, no bars connecting just irregular
Grade "B" Picassso will have 2 bars touching on at least one side of the body. It can be the head and middle or the tail and middle bars but 2 have to touch on one side.
Grade "A" Picasso will have 3 bars touching on at least one side of the body. This would mean on one side, the head, the middle and tail bars MUST touch on one side only.
"Premiums" or "Superwhite" grades are a little harder to clarify and I will post pics below to try and help?? Premiums and Superwhites should have all bars touching on BOTH sides of the body and have a lot more white than a grade "A" or "B" Picasso. Meaning, the Picasso will be mostly white with less orange and black.
There are a variables of all of these grades, such as, "Super B's" "Keyholes" and a few others. A "super B" should have the same two bars touching on BOTH sides and have an unusual amount of white WITHOUT more than two bars touching but should be touching on BOTH sides of the body. A "Keyhole" is just that, it will have a nice round dot of black in the white area of the body.....it looks like a small keyhole. Keyhole can be a grade "A"B" and sometimes a "C" grade Picasso. Here are a few samples of a few of our Picasso's in our breeding program.....

Left side of our "C" grade "Keyhole" Picasso
IMG_20111102_214246.jpg

Right side of "C" grade "Keyhole"
IMG_20111102_214121.jpg

Right side of our "A" grade "Superwhite" she has a ton of white....(sorry no left side pic, I will get one and post it)
IMG_20111102_213946.jpg

Last edited:

Just Clownin Around

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify some grading "concerns" I keep seeing on all the forums.........
"Snowcasso"tm That belongs to Donis reef, is a hybrid of a Picasso Perc and a Snowflake Occ. hence the name "Snow Casso" These can only be called "Snowcasso" if they come from her and if you do have "Snowcasso's" from Doni, you are not permitted by law to call your offspring from them "Snowcasso" She trademarked the name and owns it outright. Sorry had to get that out there....On to the grading....
Any irregular bars, but still complete, that stray from the "normal" clown bars are being called Picasso's....fine and expected
Semi-picasso or grade "C" picasso will have the abnormal mars with irregular lines, no bars connecting just irregular
Grade "B" Picassso will have 2 bars touching on at least one side of the body. It can be the head and middle or the tail and middle bars but 2 have to touch on one side.
Grade "A" Picasso will have 3 bars touching on at least one side of the body. This would mean on one side, the head, the middle and tail bars MUST touch on one side only.
"Premiums" or "Superwhite" grades are a little harder to clarify and I will post pics below to try and help?? Premiums and Superwhites should have all bars touching on BOTH sides of the body and have a lot more white than a grade "A" or "B" Picasso. Meaning, the Picasso will be mostly white with less orange and black.
There are a variables of all of these grades, such as, "Super B's" "Keyholes" and a few others. A "super B" should have the same two bars touching on BOTH sides and have an unusual amount of white WITHOUT more than two bars touching but should be touching on BOTH sides of the body. A "Keyhole" is just that, it will have a nice round dot of black in the white area of the body.....it looks like a small keyhole. Keyhole can be a grade "A"B" and sometimes a "C" grade Picasso. Here are a few samples of a few of our Picasso's in our breeding program.....

IMG_20111102_214246.jpg

IMG_20111102_214121.jpg

Right side of our "A" grade "Superwhite" she has a ton of white....(sorry no left side pic, I will get one and post it)
IMG_20111102_213946.jpg
I think you are a little confused.snowcasso is two picassos not a snow flake and Picasso
Doni tm the name so she is the only one that can call her fish that
Grade c
Normal bars or misbars
Grade b
Extra white on fish may be touching on one side.
Grade a
A least 2 lines touching on both sides
Super white/bad ***/ snowcasso
Very rare, they are mostly white with orange or black separating the white. Not to be confused with the platiniums that are totally white except for muzzle and fins

Quoted from Doni site
"
Note:
* The grading system is skewed at best and only offers an idea of the number of stripes that are connected. MANY grade B's are much nicer than most A's. Each fish should be viewed for their patterns and not the 'grade'. The 'grade' is NOT a method to determine which is best. Each fish is priced for the amount of white and patterns they have. Some grade B's have more white and nicer patterns than some A's have. The amount of white, whether or not it has a spartan helmet, pattern, dark spots within the white, etc. determines the price.

Grade A
**4/5/09 UPDATED GRADING-
A's have additional white with one of the three stripes connecting on BOTH sides of the fish.
The black color will develop as they mature and the 3rd stripe area near the tail may also continue to develop and spread.

Grade B
**4/5/09 UPDATED GRADING - now you are getting more white for the money! **
Grade B's have either no stripes connected OR possibly ONE side that has connected stripes (unlike A's that must have stripes connected on both sides) The black color will develop as they mature and the 3rd stripe area near the tail may also continue to develop and spread.

Grade C
Grade C's are normal striped and misbar clowns. They are from the same breeding pair of A. perculas as the grade A's, B's and Snowcassos®. These will develop the black color as they mature as well as their third stripe.

Snowcasso®
Snowcassos® have an incredible amount of white. With the majority of their body being white (but not solid white) with dark markings throughout. These are amazing fish and very rare. There are very few of these per hatch. The black color will develop as they mature. The white may continue to spread as they mature.

Why the Snowcasso® name?
* Snowcasso® is a registered TM and can only be used for fish bred by Doni's Reef.
I named my extreme white offsping as Snowcassos® because of the amount of white and both parents are ORA Picassos (A. percula). I created this name July/August 2008 and began selling them in September 2008. I was selling my Snowcassos® 6-8 months before ORA named and sold their Platinums. If anyone has any questions or concerns about the naming of these, please contact me at [email protected] and I will be glad to discuss it further. "

Last edited:

Just Clownin Around

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Cleaning" is a term used to describe the efforts of the broodstock to prepare a suitable nesting site for future spawns(eggs). This is noted by what appears to be the brrodstock biting and twisting at an area of live rock, tile, clay pot, etc. It is a good sign that spawning might be near. Remember, the only dumb question is one that is not asked. We are all here to help :).
+1
Please don't hesitate to ask. It was a simple question that straightened my breeding project out when I was having a problem. I was to deep into the complexities to realize the simple answer

JasonPG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_20111102_214246.jpg

IMG_20111102_214121.jpg

IMG_20111102_213946.jpg

This post is riddled with misinformation but I understand the OP had the best intentions. +1 on Gaita's snowcasso info. Doni's snowcasso's aren't hybrids, they are just a marketing strategy for her perculas.

I have a huge problem with the grading system, primarily because it isn't scientific as you would like to think. It is purely marketing. ORA's "Grade A's" never had 3 connecting stripes and I'm pretty sure they were the first to use the term. It was simply a subjective quantification of the quality of the overall appearance of the fish.

Forget the A's "have to have" approach. That's not how it works. It's simply how one breeder, who has marketed very effectively to you, has convinced you to think so you feel better about spending money on her fish.

My only real pet peeve around this "concern" is the amount of breeders who have regular solomon island's percs and they are referring to as "Onyx". Onyx were selectively bred at C-Quest by Bill Addison. They have a black dorsal fin. There are no less than a dozen new variations being marketed currently as "xxx-onyx" that simply aren't.

Just Clownin Around

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please refer to my original post I included Doni's grading standard and it mirrors mine to a t except i sell extremes when available and she sells snowcassos. I just used simplified language:wink:

Just Clownin Around

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats how a rep of house of clowns talks in a public forum. shows a lot about you and how educated you are. and yes you were the wrong one here. so please stop spreading misinformation. oh and by the way
DSC_0070.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

temper76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey rich ,that's your snowcasso n b/w pair?,nice kid. Those are the parents??

Last edited by a moderator:

Just Clownin Around

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no thats one of the babies my snowcassos produced with a cquest onyx that has blue in its stripes. i bought it off fisheye to try and get picassos with blue in there stripes. these are the twilight parents
DSC_0177.jpg

on another note the platiniums are both cleaning like mad. im getting anxious for them to start

oceancube

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just wanted to share my new ora platniums, appently they've been together for 3 years but have not spawned, female is nice and big and looks like shes bred before, now i have to see what i want to do with her, i was thinking of changing up her mate with a f1 snowcasso from doni or a f1 super snow from my darwin/snowflake pair, or just keep them together and see what they produce, lots of cleaning and looking like there gonna breed but you know how that goes...enjoy!!!
platnium clownfish pair.mp4 - YouTube=

brannock_16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
**** Gaita! Your clowns are INSANE! Do you breed and sell off spring or is this just for the joy of the hobby?

Just Clownin Around

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I did not enjoy it I would not do it. No mater how much money I could sell them for. That being said I do offer some of the offspring up for sale every now and then to cover expenses. You would be surprised how much it actually cost to run a breeding system. Just my tanks alone run 200+ a month.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 21 12.1%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 47 27.2%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 81 46.8%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 21 12.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.7%
Back