Please advise best network setup for Profilux 4

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ThaBeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a new profilux 4 for my tank build (6 mitras 7204 as well if that matters). We use google mesh for wifi in our home as it seems to work best for us. I have a dual ethernet out modem but on occasion I have found 2 wifi routers will cause a conflict. What router would be best to add as a wifi access point? Should I connect it to the mesh network or directly to the modem? Experiences appreciated

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Profilux does not have an ethernet port, so you will need to connect over Wi-Fi. It needs a 2.4 GHz network, which your mesh net work will provide, but you may have issues if the profilux can’t consistently pick the same host node. If you don’t mind spending a little, it’s good to get a dedicated access point to use for the profilux to connect to, rather than using the mesh.

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can run a wired connection to your access point, and have the access point near the Profilux, probably most access points would be fine. That ubiquiti one in the link above looks good.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not (even slightly) a ubiquity fan.

That said, for your 2.4 GHz dedicated SSID for your reef, just about any AP will do. I suggest Aruba even though I despise HP products. Something small like an Aruba 203R or AP11D etc.

Ruckus makes good stuff to.

Cisco 140AC
NETGEAR AX4200

You must buy an access point, not a router/firewall with WiFi.

setup tHe SSID as single band/radio 2.4 amd turn off 5 GHz
Use a different SSID than the other networks on your home.
pick a clean channel
setup close to P4 if possible and hardwire to your existing network.

All of that said, the node hopping is more the issue than having a 2.4 and 5 radio broadcast the same SSID… a 2.4 only device can’t even see the 5 GHz radio. Where the 2.4 and 5 shared SSID issue comes into play is for devices that do both and constantly band/radio hop between nodes or radios. (Example a modern XBOX)

Last edited by a moderator:

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently I didn’t make myself clear. I’m asking for a WiFi access point recommendation, I am NEVER a buyer on price

Ok. Just thought that looked like a good possible option. I have had good luck with Ubiquity products. I use an UAP-AC-PRO-US that is dedicated to my GHL gear. I use a US-PRO-US for the rest of the house. I set up my parents house and use an UAP-AC-LITE-US there.

OP
OP
ThaBeast

ThaBeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am not (even slightly) a ubiquity fan.

That said, for your 2.4 GHz dedicated SSID for your reef, jus about any AP will do. I suggest Aruba even though I despise HP products. Something small like an Aruba 203R or AP11D etc.

Ruckus makes good stuff to.

Cisco 140AC
NETGEAR AX4200

You must buy an access point, not a router/firewall with WiFi.

setup tHe SSID as single band/radio 2.4 amd turn off 5 GHz
Use a different SSID than the other networks on your home.
pick a clean channel
setup close to P4 if possible and hardwire to your existing network.

All of that said, the node hopping is more the issue than having a 2.4 and 5 radio broadcast the same SSID… a 2.4 only device can’t even see the 5 GHz radio. Where the 2.4 and 5 shared SSID issue comes into play is for devices that do both and constantly band/radio hop between nodes or radios. (Example a modern XBOX)
@BeanAnimal does the Aruba 203R have a pass thru ethernet port? I'm really rusty on network tech

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has 3 Ethernet ports that can b configured, but I would not typically use an AP as a switch node.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.2%
Back