Please help leveling

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IM 112 EXT — So I got my tank and stand. Stand took a bit since the directions could have been better. They really should just include a measurement for all support spacing. Only said 14” in the back width. Anyway, the stand is perfect left to right but I believe it is 1/8” lower in the front over 36”. Should I adjust that or is that OK? If I should adjust, should I tweak the front or back of the frame or shim?

The level shows how off I am over 36”. The floor is braced underneath with four 4x4 posts with a 4x4 crossing several joists.

Another question is should I replace that outlet with a GFI? It does have one at the main. Just wonder if any concern for water.

Will need to PVC board the sump tray yet.

Thanks

IMG_9744.jpeg IMG_9745.jpeg IMG_9744.jpeg IMG_9745.jpeg IMG_9741.jpeg IMG_9747.jpeg

zoolan70

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I adjust that or is that OK? If I should adjust, should I tweak the front or back of the frame or shim?
I would shim it on both front corners to try to get it spot on before you add the tank. There will be some settling, but unless there is a major shift, you should still be OK when it is full.
Another question is should I replace that outlet with a GFI? It does have one at the main. Just wonder if any concern for water.
What do you mean by 'have one at the main'? Do you mean the circuit is protected by a GFCI breaker? If so, then you are fine not replacing it, but it may be inconvenient to chase down to the breaker panel if it trips. If there is not a GFCI, then you absolutely need to install an outlet. The location of the outlet may make it inconvenient to reset, so you might want to install it upstream where you have more access. Remember, a GFCI outlet can protect downstream standard outlets as well if you install it that way.

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would shim it on both front corners to try to get it spot on before you add the tank. There will be some settling, but unless there is a major shift, you should still be OK when it is full.

What do you mean by 'have one at the main'? Do you mean the circuit is protected by a GFCI breaker? If so, then you are fine not replacing it, but it may be inconvenient to chase down to the breaker panel if it trips. If there is not a GFCI, then you absolutely need to install an outlet. The location of the outlet may make it inconvenient to reset, so you might want to install it upstream where you have more access. Remember, a GFCI outlet can protect downstream standard outlets as well if you install it that way.
thanks. Yes, at the breaker box though I'll double check that.
Also what shims do you recommend since this will be a lot of weight with only an 1/8" shim, I would think they would split?

zoolan70

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks. Yes, at the breaker box though I'll double check that.
Also what shims do you recommend since this will be a lot of weight with only an 1/8" shim, I would think they would split?
It would be surprising if you did have a GFCI breaker unless it is also a circuit that goes to a bathroom or kitchen counter outlets.

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be surprising if you did have a GFCI breaker unless it is also a circuit that goes to a bathroom or kitchen counter outlets.
So I didn't locate everything on this breaker yet. It's a 20amp Square D style breaker with the push test button. so it’s an AFCI and need to install a GFCI outlet right?

IMG_9750.jpeg

PapaFishRocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can still install a GFCI at the aquarium.

AFCI is for an Arc Fault
GFCI is for a Ground Fault.

Together, they cover 2 of the most common “OH CRAP!” electrical issues

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like your stand is Aluminum framed. I would shim the stand to level it. If you are only an 1/8" off then shimming will be quick, easy, and invisible.

Wood shims will work, the weight isn't an issue. Wood blocks are used to hold giant ships up in ship yards. They may deform slighty but wood doesn't collapse. However being in the wet environment around a fish tank, using plastic shims will give you a long term advantage of the wood not eventually rotting away or being consumed by termites.

Dave B

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
However being in the wet environment around a fish tank, using plastic shims will give you a long term advantage of the wood not eventually rotting away or being consumed by termites.

Dave B

I have always used composite shims around tanks for this very reason.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t think I’m crazy but I was once told for something heavy to use a deck of cards to level it. You can add or remove the cards for minute changes. Granted this was said to use for a pool table but I would imagine it would work for a tank as well. Especially since the cards don’t collapse under the weight.

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like your stand is Aluminum framed. I would shim the stand to level it. If you are only an 1/8" off then shimming will be quick, easy, and invisible.

Wood shims will work, the weight isn't an issue. Wood blocks are used to hold giant ships up in ship yards. They may deform slighty but wood doesn't collapse. However being in the wet environment around a fish tank, using plastic shims will give you a long term advantage of the wood not eventually rotting away or being consumed by termites.

Dave B
perfect. I already have a pack of plastic shims in the garage. Just curious on this because it was only 1/8". It says to adjust the profiles if not level but I'm assuming that is if it doesn't match the vertical supports. I might use a little lock tite though to help keep them in place. Not sure what do do with the shelf since it has a sump. Mount the electronics to it?.
So GFCI outlet next along with PVC board to make the bottom into a tray. Shim the stand then call movers.

IMG_9756.jpeg

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your out on stand 1/8th then your tank may show the same effect, water would not be level. Structurally that difference means little.

Just would look weird IMM

Both stand and tank should be leveled.
Level front to back as well.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back