Plumbing 65g help

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any plumbing tips welcome, first timer..

Is it a bad idea to connect both the emergency drain & main drain from one of those ESHOPPS over flows?

I want to use that Red Sea roller mat, which wants you to plumb directly in it. Would I hard plumb and then use their flex tube, or better to hard plumb directly in?

I saw gate valves for the return drains, or maybe just one (if I didn’t connect both)? I think I read 45s are better than 90 if I need a turn. Are check valves a needed on the return? I know everyone’s system is difference so I feel a little scattered. And then unions under every connecting part - sound about right?

Orginally I wanted to place my sump on an extended bottom shelf, so the pipe just drops straight down, but now considering the roller mat, that doesn’t feel like an option. Just wanted to keep it simple to prevent any potential leaks down the line

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emergency needs to be it's own drain. If a clog happens in the line after the main and emergency meet up, the emergency drain will serve no purpose. Do a main drain with a gate valve, and have the emergency drain just run straight into the sump with no restrictor

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Crabs. Send the siphon (main) drain the the mat, and the trickle/emergency to somewhere else in the sump.

The 2 drains are separate for safety and redundancy.

iannarelli

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently setting up a 60 cube and went with 90s for my drain pipes to maximize space in the sump area. BRStv did an Investigates video about the difference and while I haven't watched it in a while, I believe they found there was very little difference between them for the majority of use cases.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 180 72.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%

Back