Pocket Holes

cdfjr1975

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Building my stand and I'm up to attaching the top and bottom frames and had a question about pocket holes. Kreg instructions state to start 9/16 from the sides and add some in between. This would allow for three holes in a 2x4. Most pictures I've seen have only two holes so any information, comments or advice on their builds would be appreciated.

Test holes drilled in a 2x4
4a03f14a1953b703e346e015f1ec15bf.jpg

Zwogle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have empirical evidence to add, on my stand I did 3 holes, with no problems (30gallon tank), but in general pocket whole practice i've seen only two used.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see an issue with using three screws instead of two. I spaced them together this way in my plywood aquarium for the top Euro brace and I did not run into any issues.

Special_K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it matters. Pocket screws are not designed to bear much load. They hold the parts together while your chosen joint method supports the weight and structural integrity.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not as strong as a long grain joint, but end grain butt joints are still reasonably strong, especially when combined with pocket screws. Fine Woodworking did a 'joinery shootout' several years ago, and a plain butt joint was actually stronger than a stub tenon and a cope and stick joint and nearly as strong as a biscuit joint. Pocket screws increased the joint strength by about 50% to the point that a glued pocket screw butt joint was stronger than the domino biscuit system and nearly as strong as a ¼" mortise & tenon joint.

("Joinery Shootout," Fine Woodworking - Jan/Feb 2009)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back