Polishing an Acrylic Splash Guard

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The splash guard on my Aquaactinics Constellation light fixture has become scratched up and hazy. I fear that it is blocking a significant amount of light transmission.

What can I do to clear up the acrylic?

cherokee_dude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd just buy another thin piece of acrylic and slide it right in... Too much work and if it's thin you'll get warping anyhow.

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd just buy another thin piece of acrylic and slide it right in... Too much work and if it's thin you'll get warping anyhow.

Thanks - I appreciate your input. Where would be the best place to purchase a thin new sheet of acrylic? It's probably only 1/8" and is 47" x 14" or so.

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HD or Lowes will carry that thickness of acrylic. I think they carry up to 1/4 inch if I'm not mistaken. I agree that replacing it would be easier than cleaning it.

hakuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work with acrylic quite a bit. I find the novus products to work quite well for scratch removal. Amazon has a kit for 10 bucks with scratch remover cleaner and polish...

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice everyone, it sounds like replacing it or just leaving it out is the best option. The only thing that I fear is my reflectors becoming tarnished. If those get messed up then I'm really out of luck.

What kind of % of light blockage are we talking about? Does the acrylic effect the spectrum of the light?

Last edited:

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice everyone, it sounds like replacing it or just leaving it out is the best option. The only thing that I fear is my reflectors becoming tarnished. If those get messed up then I'm really out of luck.

What kind of % of light blockage are we talking about? Does the acrylic effect the spectrum of the light?

i would replace it for the tarnishing you speak of. you might want to see if they have glass that size then you dont have to worry about it getting scratched again.
the only issue there would be obviously breakage

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes glass would be a very nice upgrade. I would have to be very careful with it, though.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hot glass and cold water don't mix..... that's the reason there plastic... how far is the fixture off the tank??? if you want to replace it make sure to get acrylic the light blockage isn't to bad but lexan "aka. polycarbonate" will kill it and scratch from just wiping it with a towel...:cry:

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hot glass and cold water don't mix..... that's the reason there plastic... how far is the fixture off the tank??? if you want to replace it make sure to get acrylic the light blockage isn't to bad but lexan "aka. polycarbonate" will kill it and scratch from just wiping it with a towel...:cry:

The fixture is only 3-4 inches above the water. So close enough to get splashed.

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The Sfiligoi fixtures come with glass shields to protect the bulbs and reflectors and they work beautifully! No issues after 3+ years. Easy to slide out and clean. Not saying that will be the easiest fix here, only that it's possible and does work quite well.

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Sfiligoi fixtures come with glass shields to protect the bulbs and reflectors and they work beautifully! No issues after 3+ years. Easy to slide out and clean. Not saying that will be the easiest fix here, only that it's possible and does work quite well.

Thanks for your input, glad to hear this is working with your light fixture. Is there anything special about the glass (tempered, starphire, etc)?

How thick is it and what dimensions?

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of danger do you run having the lights exposed to salt creep?
reflectors, sockets and connections corroding.
perhaps a short from the salt creep. creep on the bulbs blocking light. water splashing on the bulbs. there are many other things that could, but those are going to be the most common

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fixture is only 3-4 inches above the water. So close enough to get splashed.
that's awfully close to the water..... i have never had a fixture closer than 8" so i don't have those problems.... also helps with cooling of the fixture and the tank....you could remove the shield raise the fixture to 10" to 12" and be around the same par you have now imho....

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's awfully close to the water..... i have never had a fixture closer than 8" so i don't have those problems.... also helps with cooling of the fixture and the tank....you could remove the shield raise the fixture to 10" to 12" and be around the same par you have now imho....

Quiet possibly true - and definitely a good solution, the problem is that I will run into the issue of blinding people in the room.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back