0   0   0
What about reefkoi evo led any good?

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

coraltastic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a par meter at the moment ,but check out orpheks site they just posted a video of them doing a par reading on a tank.

1.0reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PAR < PUR
Orphek may have PAR, but there are quite a few fixtures (DIY and not) that have more PUR.

1.0reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orphek Atlantik may be way over priced but have far better looks, better controller, only one cord, best par reading between most all other fixtures, great led spread instead of small pucks in a large fixture. So to me u pay extra$ for the better product.
Try saying that to the Mitras or Razor.
BAM!

bhazard451

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Chinese light is half the price of the Orphek and runs at 580-630mah instead of the 700mah. That hits around ~360 where the Orphek hits ~470 in the vid at the same height of 39". So basically, if I swap the drivers and run it full tilt at 700 mah, I achieve the same results. If you use a Cree fixture, you can use nearly half the amount of leds for the same results.

You will also fry any soft coral or low light LPS on the sandbed at that strength. My Trach brain corals start to bleach if I run my fixture at 100%, so why would you want to be that high at the sandbed unless you're running a full SPS tank?

What makes it worthwhile to spend almost twice as much for that Orphek (a chinese light btw) over other chinese lights, a Razor, DIY, etc? I don't see one, unless you like to waste money.

Telefonica007

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fixture I made with Chinese parts and have no issues besides not dimmable. I have sps growing fine half way up in my 90g and all my LPS look great everywhere else. My coverage is great since I made the fixture 44 x 15(almost size of the tank ). I've run whites n blues with timer I placed in canopy for 9hrs a day and growth in the past 16months have been awesome. I can't see myself paying 500each for 2 fixtures and not get the spread like I have now. Its worth the effort to build one. All the fancy options aren't necessary but are nice to have!

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Chinese light is half the price of the Orphek and runs at 580-630mah instead of the 700mah. That hits around ~360 where the Orphek hits ~470 in the vid at the same height of 39". So basically, if I swap the drivers and run it full tilt at 700 mah, I achieve the same results. If you use a Cree fixture, you can use nearly half the amount of leds for the same results.

You will also fry any soft coral or low light LPS on the sandbed at that strength. My Trach brain corals start to bleach if I run my fixture at 100%, so why would you want to be that high at the sandbed unless you're running a full SPS tank?

What makes it worthwhile to spend almost twice as much for that Orphek (a chinese light btw) over other chinese lights, a Razor, DIY, etc? I don't see one, unless you like to waste money.
It's not hard to get high par with 60 degree optics. But you sacrifice spread.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dunno about "waste of money". Make me something comparable to a Razor - nice design and all - and get back to me with your cost.

There's also the fact that DIY is definitely not for everyone - especially the relatively complicated rigs you'll see on any given day in a DIY lighting forum.

That said, LED rigs like the two GU10 bulb-based ones I've made (see blog) are a nice, easy to wire, super-inexpensive way to do DIY some might not know now about.

There are lots of benefits and possibilities with DIY, but some people need to be able to just buy a fixture.

-Matt

SchnitzelReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If u want the absolute best led light, go with an led/t5 hybrid. Lol

I was running 100% LEDs, and did not like the results. I've since added 4-80w t5s, and BOOM growth and color is amazing. I have a canopy, so I have the luxury of being able to run an ugly DIY setup.
u8u2ype2.jpg

epe4u2y7.jpg

Thats 90-3w bridgelux and 4-80w t5s. It's mainly Blue LEDs, with some 420nm, and a few 6500k whites. I'm running them at 700mah, on Meanwell 60-48d drivers. All being controlled and dimmed by my apex.

For those of you with no canopy, just go buy the new ATI led powermodule As long as u got 2 grand laying around. Lol

I just setup a frag tank with the reef breeders led light.
qaje9a6y.jpg

Again, I wasn't digging 100% LEDs. I really wanted to build another DIY retrofit t5/led light, however I'm not gunna run a canopy on my 3/4 acrylic frag tank...looks too nice. So I just picked up a 6x24 ATI, and I'm gunna take out one of the t5 bulbs and add 26-3w bridgelux. This time I will be incorporating 2 red LEDs, just to see what happens.

I'll post pics later when its all built.

Here's a couple crappy pics of my tank.
abu2u6e2.jpg

u2e3anu7.jpg

Last edited:

jimmybling31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's hilarious about your post is I am about to add t5ho to my lighting when I do a canopy and I'm going to continue to use my kessils over it too. I treated it by running a current t5ho fixture over my tank with kessils on too. Made for amazing color and within a week I was seeing more growth.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the LED/T5 mix. I did the same. And as my T5s lights wore out there is a noticeable difference. My acro stopped growing and losing color, frogspawn doesn't extend as well either. The palys and zoas as flourishing either way though. So I'm ordering my replacement bulbs tomorrow. I have AI Sol Bue LEDs. I LOVE them but I felt there was something missing and the proof is in the pudding. Definitely needs some reds.

125g mixed reef Peninsula

jedidad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have AI Vega colors and love them. However they are now coming out with a new fixture just like it for $100 less that has violet and uv built in.

1.0reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have AI Vega colors and love them. However they are now coming out with a new fixture just like it for $100 less that has violet and uv built in.
No UV, it's useless.
Also, all of AI's fixtures aren't as good as some of the Radions, Maxspect, Reefbreeders, etc because they never se WW or NW, and use lower quality leds.
Also a true full spectrum fixture to some is insane, HV (sometimes) TV, CB, cyan, DR, NW, and RB.

bhazard451

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No UV, it's useless.
Also, all of AI's fixtures aren't as good as some of the Radions, Maxspect, Reefbreeders, etc because they never se WW or NW, and use lower quality leds.
Also a true full spectrum fixture to some is insane, HV (sometimes) TV, CB, cyan, DR, NW, and RB.

Hyperviolet 430nm, Neutral Whites, and Cyan are awesome.

Out of all the fixtures listed above, there are only two ways to easily add them right now that I know of... DIY and Reefbreeders. This will remain this way for a long time, as long as the led footprints remain the same, and if no other company makes an easily modifiable fixture. It keeps you on the cutting edge, so say if a super mega ultra white comes out and has a perfect MH-like spectrum, I can swap all my whites out as soon as the leds are available.

ParkerB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with AI cause I personally love my SOL super blue over my sps tank. I will most likely be going DIY or an ATI fixture next tank due to size unless the SOL drops another $100

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back