Polyp Lab Medic. :(

VFX_Reef_Peacekeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I made a stupid mistake and introduced a healthy looking Powder Blue Tang to my 300 gallon Reef display. I didn't have my quarantine set up yet. Stupid. I know Stupid.

You know where this is going.... Ich broke out. I researched so much to find a fix for this. ( Yes I know catching the fish and using copper is the only real cure.) But I can't pull down a 300g reef to catch all the fish.

In comes Polyp Labs MEDIC!!! This is going to be the reef safe cure. It will help the fish and stop the water born stage of the ich parasite using "Oxidizing Technology"

Ok, so I have used a triple dose of Medic for a month. My fish are super fat and healthy. They have been able to shake off several rounds of ich spawning. None have died as yet but its getting worse and worse every time the ich re produces.

Polyp Lab's "Phillipe" Said "Oh its stress in your reef. NOPE. This reef is only 3 months old BUT....
It is full of rock cured for 4 months using DR Tims and ammonia plus the rock were successfully seeded with pods the actually multiplied in that time. The rest of the fish and coral came from a previous 50 gallon tank that had been up for 3 years. The transfer from the 50 to the 300 was done over a period of weeks. No fish or coral changed at all.

Cut to me spending more that $120 on Medic. I contacted Polyp Lab and asked for Scientific Proof of how oxidizing agents killed ich. They said google it.

So now its way over a month. Fish are starting to die and I have a verdict on Medic.

Medic seems to be snake oil. In the time I have had ich in my display tank I have increased feeding and used selcom additive to food. I have soaked food in garlic and made every effort to save my precious fish. Despite triple dosing Medic over a month it seems the ich has just followed its natural
cycle and multiplied, infected fish, dropped of and started again. Fish have a natural ability to become immune to ich. They have to be super strong but it is possible. This seems to be the philosophy Medic uses to claim success.

Don't use Polyp Lab Medic. Don't make my mistake. Quarantine all new fish. This is a must.
It's no joke. Treat all fish with Copper as if they are infected and ad them to you reef after a month or so. You may have added 10 fish in a row and never had ich. You will get it.

Take it from me..... Its not worth it.

Don Capalchey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I AM SORRY I DISAGREE! MEDIC saved my newer 150G (200g total) Reef.

All my fish had Ich I lost the same tang as you to, after that I freaked. Mostly because my yellow watchman Is In this tank and he was the very first fish I had ever bought around four years ago.

Two gobys where infected
A rabbit fish (Virgilate)
Wrasse pink
Dartfish (1)
Pink skunk clown (3)
Lawnmower blenny

when I treated medic only the wrasse died, an his death was inconclusive...

only his head was sticking out of my cute Orange-Ball mushroom.

I know this alone saved my reef because the ICH was really bad.
I will say I used very liberally, but only a single bottle in two weeks time.

Hope I helped someone!

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Medic will at best help you with ich management, it will not do anything to actually cure ich. It's basically peroxide. If there was an actual reef safe cure everyone would be all over it. At least now you know for the future, copper or CP in QT is the way to go. I learned the hard way myself a few years back with an ich/velvet combo that wiped out my tank.

OP
OP
VFX_Reef_Peacekeeper

VFX_Reef_Peacekeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I AM SORRY I DISAGREE! MEDIC saved my newer 150G (200g total) Reef.

All my fish had Ich I lost the same tang as you to, after that I freaked. Mostly because my yellow watchman Is In this tank and he was the very first fish I had ever bought around four years ago.

Two gobys where infected
A rabbit fish (Virgilate)
Wrasse pink
Dartfish (1)
Pink skunk clown (3)
Lawnmower blenny

when I treated medic only the wrasse died, an his death was inconclusive...

only his head was sticking out of my cute Orange-Ball mushroom.

I know this alone saved my reef because the ICH was really bad.
I will say I used very liberally, but only a single bottle in two weeks time.

Hope I helped someone!

Thanks for your reply. I'm really happy it worked for you.
Who knows what factors caused it to be useless in my tank. It could be the time of day I dosed. It could be my lighting schedule, it could be that I dissolved it first for a while.
I didn't loose a fish for over a month of using Medic but the cycle of ich was not slowed down.
My main issue other than it costing a lot and not working for me was when I asked for advice from polyp lab. They responded and asked for tank specs really quickly, I responded immediately.
Then they never responded to my emails again. I even contacted them through the website again. They just ignore me. Peoples pets dying is a pretty serious matter.
Point is, it's not a sure thing. All the forums and articles I've read seem to have more unimpressed people than not. You are fortunate to be in the happy customer group.
From here on in I'll be installing a UV Sterilizer for prevention and using copper in quarantine at all times. Super hard lesson.

Animal Chin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I'm on the pro side, I used it for a mild ich break out when I added a fish and it took care of it for me, no ich since. Now my case was mild, not a bunch of fish covered but one fish with a hand full of spots and then another with a few, I could see it starting to take off so I started treatment right away and the few spots they both had went away and the next cycle never started. I'd guess the free floating parasites died and didn't get a chance to attach to a host? Either way, I was happy with my results.

Johnson556

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same thing in a previous tank with a powder blue and 4 other tangs. Clear going in and two days later everyone was covered. I decided to take a more "natural" approach you could say and just started loading food with Selcon. Ich may still be in my tank but apparently its in everyone no matter what you do. Not a single fish or the 6 I've added since then have shown any signs.

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same thing in a previous tank with a powder blue and 4 other tangs. Clear going in and two days later everyone was covered. I decided to take a more "natural" approach you could say and just started loading food with Selcon. Ich may still be in my tank but apparently its in everyone no matter what you do. Not a single fish or the 6 I've added since then have shown any signs.

That is a myth that ich is in everyone's tank no matter what you do. Quarantine and treat your fish and your tank can be ich free.

OP
OP
VFX_Reef_Peacekeeper

VFX_Reef_Peacekeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update!!

Tank is now a month and a half with ich. Used medic the entire time. The ich come back worse each cycle. All my tangs have died and it looks like a clown and damsel will be soon. Also, with using medic for so long I have acropora starting to strip.

So... installing a huge UV and leaving the tank without vulnerable fish for 6 or 8 weeks.

Ain't No Tang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I made a stupid mistake and introduced a healthy looking Powder Blue Tang to my 300 gallon Reef display. I didn't have my quarantine set up yet. Stupid. I know Stupid.

You know where this is going.... Ich broke out. I researched so much to find a fix for this. ( Yes I know catching the fish and using copper is the only real cure.) But I can't pull down a 300g reef to catch all the fish.

In comes Polyp Labs MEDIC!!! This is going to be the reef safe cure. It will help the fish and stop the water born stage of the ich parasite using "Oxidizing Technology"

Ok, so I have used a triple dose of Medic for a month. My fish are super fat and healthy. They have been able to shake off several rounds of ich spawning. None have died as yet but its getting worse and worse every time the ich re produces.

Polyp Lab's "Phillipe" Said "Oh its stress in your reef. NOPE. This reef is only 3 months old BUT....
It is full of rock cured for 4 months using DR Tims and ammonia plus the rock were successfully seeded with pods the actually multiplied in that time. The rest of the fish and coral came from a previous 50 gallon tank that had been up for 3 years. The transfer from the 50 to the 300 was done over a period of weeks. No fish or coral changed at all.

Cut to me spending more that $120 on Medic. I contacted Polyp Lab and asked for Scientific Proof of how oxidizing agents killed ich. They said google it.

So now its way over a month. Fish are starting to die and I have a verdict on Medic.

Medic seems to be snake oil. In the time I have had ich in my display tank I have increased feeding and used selcom additive to food. I have soaked food in garlic and made every effort to save my precious fish. Despite triple dosing Medic over a month it seems the ich has just followed its natural
cycle and multiplied, infected fish, dropped of and started again. Fish have a natural ability to become immune to ich. They have to be super strong but it is possible. This seems to be the philosophy Medic uses to claim success.

Don't use Polyp Lab Medic. Don't make my mistake. Quarantine all new fish. This is a must.
It's no joke. Treat all fish with Copper as if they are infected and ad them to you reef after a month or so. You may have added 10 fish in a row and never had ich. You will get it.

Take it from me..... Its not worth it.

My sebae aneomone died and some of my zoas look horrible now after using medic 2 times in my tank. I also had a cleaner shrimp die after using medic. I only used half of the recommendation for the smallest dose as well. I would definitely not call this reef safe at all. My anemone started reacting badly only 2 minutes after adding Medic to my tank. It started disintegrating from the mouth pretty much immediately.

Punchanello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion Medic is ineffective. Against my better judgement I have used it twice at 3 x the dose (but otherwise exactly as directed) for over a month and it didn't work. I was desperate and I wanted to believe and that's on me (a fool and their money). Polyp Lab make no real claims about it's effectiveness, they just let people who think they have ich, or think they got rid of ich spread the word. You may not see ich, your fish may not immediately die of ich, but in reality you have no idea whether your system is free of it and what future deaths you might have as a result.

I have rid my tank of ich through a 3 month fallow period and stringent quarantine and treatment of all new fish, corals and invertebrates. It's not foolproof but it's backed by evidence.

OP
OP
VFX_Reef_Peacekeeper

VFX_Reef_Peacekeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sebae aneomone died and some of my zoas look horrible now after using medic 2 times in my tank. I also had a cleaner shrimp die after using medic. I only used half of the recommendation for the smallest dose as well. I would definitely not call this reef safe at all. My anemone started reacting badly only 2 minutes after adding Medic to my tank. It started disintegrating from the mouth pretty much immediately.
Sorry to hear that.

ACF930

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve had positive experience. This product works best if you double/triple dose (the instructed amount) and you catch ich early. If your fish is at the tail end, then even copper most likely won’t save it.

I use this in my QT initially when new fish are added, because it helps if the fish are already infected and I don’t want to succumb stressed fish to copper off the bat. Plus, this is better if you are on-boarding wrasses that can’t survive in copper treatment.

Keep in mind that this product is not guaranteed to eliminate ich (only copper can). However, from my experience, it did keep my fish ich free for several months until I added new coral.

If you don’t have a QT for coral, then keeping this product on hand is good, because you will have a high chance of getting ich again.

I’ve done the whole fallow tank for 60 days. It was a major PITA to keep a QT going and doing water changes every 3 days, unless you want to keep a QT cycled and ready long term. My DT was ich free for a year, until I added a new monti frag and then ich again! Now I just use Medic whenever I have a outbreak (I’m not catching fish and going fallow again). My Tangs have spots sometimes, but so far all the fish survive are are used to it. I also soak their food in Selcon and Garlic (not sure how effective against ich but at least it gives them supplements).

I also added a UV Sterilizer, but I don’t think it helps much against ich, unless you have its pump directly in your tank. Mine is plumbed in the sump and probably doesn’t catch much parasites, since not many go into the overflow and down.

Last edited:

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old post I know but will me dosing some of this to my reef kill my corals and inverts including my cleaner shrimp?

Mandalorian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really seems like UV is the only answer because think about, every single aquarium or aquarium store has hundreds of fish in its systems youre telling me none of them had ich? Come on bs.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$36 dollars for that little bottle?

Just buy some peroxide for $1 and put that on a doser instead. dang.

Ozzydeanizzy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Old post I know but will me dosing some of this to my reef kill my corals and inverts including my cleaner shrimp?
I have just finished running this on my mixed reef tank and it helped clear up ich on some tangs plus I run a over sized UV with slow flow
No effect on corals except some do close up after dosing but open back up quickly

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back