Polyplab's Coral Primer dip

SueAbu

Forever Newb
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last week, I lost a gorgeous little Duncan to BJD... One head one night and then the other a couple days later.

On the advice of the local coral farmer, I got the PL coral primer dip... followed the instructions to the letter... and dunked the neighboring Duncan's and frogspawn about 2 hours ago.

The froggy (green arrow) has come back about as much as he does for this time of day... But the Duncans (orange arrows) are still pretty ticked. Expected? Or did I make it all worse?
IMG_20240504_142753774_HDR~2.jpg

(* Note.... I'm also treating the tank with Cipro after dark per the formula I learned on here.)

IMG_20240504_142753774_HDR~2.jpg

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the dip, hard to blame one thing when adding a new coral to a tank…could be shipping, the change in salinity any number of causes.

OP
OP
SueAbu

SueAbu

Forever Newb
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the dip, hard to blame one thing when adding a new coral to a tank…could be shipping, the change in salinity any number of cau
Oops. Should have specified. They aren't new. The top and dead Duncans arrived in March and, until.... Boom goopy Duncan head... The froggy and lower Duncan are over a year old. Only dipped to avoid bjd jumping to the neighbors.
They top Duncan usually looks like this:

Attachments

• 8d.png
    8d.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 5

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think if you were to dip, would an iodine dip not be better, as far as I know Reef Prime is to rid the coral of pests rather than heal a disease etc

Duncans are know to be very sensitive to water quality, they are generally the first coral to notice a parameter change.

OP
OP
SueAbu

SueAbu

Forever Newb
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think if you were to dip, would an iodine dip not be better, as far as I know Reef Prime is to rid the coral of pests rather than heal a disease etc

Duncans are know to be very sensitive to water quality, they are generally the first coral to notice a parameter change.
I did the iodine dip the first day the goo showed up... Knee-jerk, panic reaction. Then I started to research. I called the coral farmer locally to find Cipro and he said the better tx was polyplab dip... So I went with both.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id say its the cipro thats making them upset. that stuff is terrible for a tanks/corals biome

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the reef primer on every new coral i recieve

I full heartedly agree with the first half of this.
Reef Primer (or Potassium Salts) are for getting rid of pests, not for helping tissue. it will actually do the opposite for tissue as its can kind of harsh on tissue (which is why it gets rid of external pests)
Iodine would for sure be the better option for treating tissue issues as its an antiseptic.

I disagree about the duncans being sensitive though, they have been some of the most hardy and forgiving corals ive kept the last 15 years.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the reef primer on every new coral i recieve

I full heartedly agree with the first half of this.
Reef Primer (or Potassium Salts) are for getting rid of pests, not for helping tissue. it will actually do the opposite for tissue as its can kind of harsh on tissue (which is why it gets rid of external pests)
Iodine would for sure be the better option for treating tissue issues as its an antiseptic.

I disagree about the duncans being sensitive though, they have been some of the most hardy and forgiving corals ive kept the last 15 years.
I was meaning they are the first to show signs of water quality, not that they die etc so yes I agree they are hardy but also sensitive.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 21.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 149 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.9%
Back