Possible help with new skimmer Tunze 9415

enthb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a Tunze 9415 because of having a 9410dc for my other aquarium and it performing well. The 9410 was too small and the 9430 was too big. Anyway, I have it in the suggested 6 inches of water. The air hose and silencer are installed correctly and exit pipe in inserted all the way. It produces foam but not much makes it into to cup. Yesterday none made it. It’s been running for about a little over a weeI now. It is an ac pump so I only have control over depth and air. The air control isn’t seeming to affect it. I do notice that there is some water in the silencer that comes from the connection to the pump. Is there supposed to be any water in the silencer at all? Also it is a high nutrient fowlr and my nitrates are around 25-30. Thanks

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Closing the air knob, the blue one, will increase the height of the water/foam.
There should be no water in the silencer.
I have a 9410dc, 9410, and a 9430dc.
The 9415 is just a little shorter than the 9430.
20220420_162913.jpg

OP
OP
E

enthb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Closing the air knob, the blue one, will increase the height of the water/foam.
There should be no water in the silencer.
I have a 9410dc, 9410, and a 9430dc.
The 9415 is just a little shorter than the 9430.
20220420_162913.jpg
Thanks for the help. I pulled it out twice and emptied the silencer. There’s not much in it. Maybe a quarter inch in the bottom but it comes up to the hole that leads to the pump. I really. It’s coming from the pump side. It’s not coming from the top. Would that be enough to affect how it’s performing? What water height are you using and how much do you you have the screw tightened? Thanks a bunch

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help. I pulled it out twice and emptied the silencer. There’s not much in it. Maybe a quarter inch in the bottom but it comes up to the hole that leads to the pump. I really. It’s coming from the pump side. It’s not coming from the top. Would that be enough to affect how it’s performing? What water height are you using and how much do you you have the screw tightened? Thanks a bunch
9430dc ran at a 4.5" depth.
Just keep tightening the screw and the water level will rise. How much its tightened depends on the depth so.
You should be able to tighten the nut and the skimmer will overflow.

OP
OP
E

enthb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9430dc ran at a 4.5" depth.
Just keep tightening the screw and the water level will rise. How much its tightened depends on the depth so.
You should be able to tighten the nut and the skimmer will overflow.
Well. I. Don’t know lol. This is frustrating. foam still isn’t reaching the cup. i can see some water in the Silencer still. If I tighten the screw. Increased flow comes out of the exit pipe and and the hole in the side of the skimmer body but I can’t make it overflow in 6 inches of water no matter what air setting I use. Also tightening the screw significantly seems to decrease the foam.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well. I. Don’t know lol. This is frustrating. foam still isn’t reaching the cup. i can see some water in the Silencer still. If I tighten the screw. Increased flow comes out of the exit pipe and and the hole in the side of the skimmer body but I can’t make it overflow in 6 inches of water no matter what air setting I use. Also tightening the screw significantly seems to decrease the foam.
Do you have a pic. Roger at Tunze @rvitko may have the answer. I only run the dc versions now and my 9410 is in a box for backup.
I forgot to ask how big is your system?

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

enthb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a pic. Roger at Tunze @rvitko may have the answer. I only run the dc versions now and my 9410 is in a box for backup.
I forgot to ask how big is your system?
I initially messaged Roger and he gave me some recommendations but didn’t want to email him over the holidays. It’s a 120 gallon with a 40 gallon sump. It’s a FOWLR that is kinda messy at feeding time. My nitrates can run really high and I carbon dosed to get them down. I was hoping this skimmer upgrade would allow me to quit carbon dosing enough to where small water changes would maintain nitrates. My current nitrates after a large water change was just under 30 So there should be enough in the system to get good foam going I would think. I can take some pics. What kind of pictures would be helpful?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic of the skimmer issues if possible. I ran my 9430dc on my 120 with 40b sump also.
I ran it with the silencer backwards for awhile but it still worked.
I ran the 9410dc for over a year when I first setup the 120.. Once no3 was approaching 20 I ran the 9430dc. It brought nitrates down to <5 and they stayed there.
I fed heavy with 15 fish.
Something is off with your skimmer. Bad pump maybe?
I had my 9410 dc do what yours is doing, I just looked at my log book, lol. I had to replace the motor block per Roger. I sent it in and he said it was bad. Maybe you got a defective one.
This is the 120 before I broke it down.
20220106_131923.jpg

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Merry Xmas!
I just put my old 9410 in a bucket of just h2o.
It did the same as yours at 6' depth. I went to 7" and it works.
Now it works properly.
To test I used a cup to reduce to 6" and it started cavitating.
Thats about all I have.
Closing the screw now makes the bubbles and water level rise.
20231225_092614.jpg

OP
OP
E

enthb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Merry Xmas!
I just put my old 9410 in a bucket of just h2o.
It did the same as yours at 6' depth. I went to 7" and it works.
Now it works properly.
To test I used a cup to reduce to 6" and it started cavitating.
Thats about all I have.
Closing the screw now makes the bubbles and water level rise.
20231225_092614.jpg
Wow thanks for going to all that trouble to help me out. During the sales I had a chance to get the 9430 dc for not much more than the 9415 but thought It might have been to big for my tank size. Kinda wish I would have gotten it now as my 9410 was easy to dial in. So when you increased the depth it started working and when you switched back it continued to work correctly or you left it at the 7 inch depth. Thanks again. I’m going to get this figured out and you are the reason. I appreciate it.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thanks for going to all that trouble to help me out. During the sales I had a chance to get the 9430 dc for not much more than the 9415 but thought It might have been to big for my tank size. Kinda wish I would have gotten it now as my 9410 was easy to dial in. So when you increased the depth it started working and when you switched back it continued to work correctly or you left it at the 7 inch depth. Thanks again. I’m going to get this figured out and you are the reason. I appreciate it.
Yea when I lowered it to 6" it would not adjust. 7" and it was fine. Let us know how ot goes.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back