Possible hitchhiker?

Rusty Shackleford

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this morning I woke up went straight to running errands. when I came back I went to look at my tank and found what appears to be little small worms surrounding my coral. Im not sure what these are by im guessing it has to do with why it appears to be dying. The coral looks really bad. Anybody seen something like it?
IMG_20170109_111733.jpg
IMG_20170109_111757.jpg

OP
OP
Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a coral on new live rock? I've seen stressed corals do this before, but it is by no means a sign of imminent death. Is the tank cycling?
No its not cycling ammonia. The coral was doing absolutely fine it was growing and even eating meaty foods. The little white strings is what's worrying. Im not sure of its some sort of pest or something the coral is releasing. I can't find anything on it.

OP
OP
Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's something the coral is releasing. I don't know exactly what it is, but I've seen it before. What kind of coral is that...an acan?
Ive been told a lobo and wellso. Im assuming its some type of brain coral. I did recently move it to different water so it might be stressing due to the change, i didnt take the time to acclimate it properly.

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe, you are correct.

I wonder whats making it so mad.
IDK. It really looks more like an acan to me, but I didn't see it fully inflated. If the lighting hasn't changed, it must be water conditions or flow that is irritating. In my humble opinion, while it doesn't look happy, it also doesn't look all that bad to me. I don't really see any evidence of tissue recession, just irritation at this point. The entire skeleton appears to be covered with flesh.

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been told a lobo and wellso. Im assuming its some type of brain coral. I did recently move it to different water so it might be stressing due to the change, i didnt take the time to acclimate it properly.
It could be the lack of acclimation. How different was the water in each system in terms of water quality? Are you running GFO, activated carbon, or something else in the new system that wasn't present in the old system?

OP
OP
Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be the lack of acclimation. How different was the water in each system in terms of water quality? Are you running GFO, activated carbon, or something else in the new system that wasn't present in the old system?
Im not running anything new. I basically had my rock in a temporary 20 gallon so it could cycle the live rock I received. Once it finished and I managed to take care of some aptasia, bristle worms, and some other hitchhikers I decided to move the rock including the water to its actual tank. Id I used like 70 percent original water that it was originally inwith 30 percent new water that I had mixed. Same temp same salinity. Its not a old reef tank either. Im think its stress like you said. I looked up those filaments mentioned and has a close resemblance of what im seeing. I have a Duncan coral and its doing great has full polyp extension and is doing fine I wonder why this ones off.

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not running anything new. I basically had my rock in a temporary 20 gallon so it could cycle the live rock I received. Once it finished and I managed to take care of some aptasia, bristle worms, and some other hitchhikers I decided to move the rock including the water to its actual tank. Id I used like 70 percent original water that it was originally inwith 30 percent new water that I had mixed. Same temp same salinity. Its not a old reef tank either. Im think its stress like you said. I looked up those filaments mentioned and has a close resemblance of what im seeing. I have a Duncan coral and its doing great has full polyp extension and is doing fine I wonder why this ones off.
If that's what you did, it's probably just stress from the move or changes in lighting. I think the coral will be fine if you give it time. On the otherhand, if you start seeing exposed skeleton, it may be time to take a more proactive approach.

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you buy this coral or did it come on the live rock? The reason I ask is because it looks like a form of diploria coral common on live rock aquacultured in the Gulf of Mexico.

OP
OP
Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you buy this coral or did it come on the live rock? The reason I ask is because it looks like a form of diploria coral common on live rock aquacultured in the Gulf of Mexico.
Coral came with the rock. It's from florida. It was in some pretty ruff condition with a lot of exposed skeleton but started to grow back. Heres a pic I literally took a couple of days ago of it.

IMG_20170105_234542.jpg

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral came with the rock. It's from florida. It was in some pretty ruff condition with a lot of exposed skeleton but started to grow back. Heres a pic I literally took a couple of days ago of it.

IMG_20170105_234542.jpg
Then it is definitely NOT a lobophyllia or wellsophyllia. It is most likely a species of diploria, but the exact species is difficult to determine with only one or two polyps in the colony. Most species pictures are of larger colonies which can look quite different. I'd say if it survived all of that, it will probably be fine. I wish some had survived on my live rock. None of my diploria made it through the curing and shipping process :/

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_20170105_234542.jpg
Looks fine, a little stressed. That last pic, its feeding

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 35 53.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.7%
Back