Possible tank crash - loosing all corals

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tested my fresh saltwater i made earlier today and the Alk reading came in at 2.5. Although the test vial does look low. Is it really possible that fresh saltwater from red sea coral pro can be that low...
IMG_2172.jpg
Unless you got a bad batch of salt, I'd suspect your reagent is bad. And you've been adding more alk raising it even higher.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tested my fresh saltwater i made earlier today and the Alk reading came in at 2.5. Although the test vial does look low. Is it really possible that fresh saltwater from red sea coral pro can be that low...
IMG_2172.jpg
I'm color blind so take this with a grain of salt:
- When I test my tank which is in the mid-8s, Hanna vial is noticeably dark
- When I test purposely made 2ish dKH saltwater (sodium bisulfate), it looks more yellow to me than your 2.5 image although that could just be my perception of the picture
- I've gone as low as 0.0 dKH (maybe even negative alk) and I still see some type of light/bright color which I don't notice in your picture

*finally, your vial looks very full to me, but I guess I don't pay much attention after I add the reagent

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi all,

I have been having difficulties since I recently moved place with my 90g tank. Ive been struggling with alkalinity (always seems to be below 4). i tried using baking soda to bring it up with no luck. My LFS recommended I test calcium, salinity and magnesium alongside a large water change (I use the red sea coral pro). I have done this and still all parameters are whack. Id appreciate any tips if anyone has any.

Parameters:
Salinity: 1.025
Calcium: 305
Magnesium: 750
Alkalinity: 2.6

During this period I have lost all of my torches (5 total) all of my SPS except my birds nest which is hanging on by a thread. My zoas are alive but all retracted. Thankfully the fish are happy. Inverts are mostly fine - my Mexican turbo snails seem very unhappy though.
You want range (no need to target) of:

Mag- 1350
CA- 420-450
PH - 8-10.5
Alk 7.8-11
salinity 1.025
phosphate .06-.09

If this is a newer tank, this may be part of issue.
Are you using RODI water or tap water from Faucet?

OP
OP
H

hashbrown1408

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want range (no need to target) of:

Mag- 1350
CA- 420-450
PH - 8-10.5
Alk 7.8-11
salinity 1.025
phosphate .06-.09

If this is a newer tank, this may be part of issue.
Are you using RODI water or tap water from Faucet?
I am using RODI water - the only difference I've made is at my old place the RODI was connected to my bathroom sink - the new place I have connected the RODI to the hose outside.

I think I will take a sample to the LFS tomorrow to check all of my parameters then given the results of what they give me ill update this post and then possibly look into recalibrating my refractometer and/or purchasing all new hanna reagents.

Something is definitely wrong as all of my corals have been dying so hopefully tomorrow I can get to the bottom of this.

Dmmz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Hope you get this figured out tomorrow sorry it happened

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I am using RODI water - the only difference I've made is at my old place the RODI was connected to my bathroom sink - the new place I have connected the RODI to the hose outside.

I think I will take a sample to the LFS tomorrow to check all of my parameters then given the results of what they give me ill update this post and then possibly look into recalibrating my refractometer and/or purchasing all new hanna reagents.

Something is definitely wrong as all of my corals have been dying so hopefully tomorrow I can get to the bottom of this.
That would be a good idea and also check the TDS to your ro unit

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
OP
OP
H

hashbrown1408

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like you’re overfilling your Hanna cuvette.
I add 10ml of tank water then an additional 1ml of the Hanna reagent. For everyone's peace of mind I also work in a research lab where I use pipettes/syringes daily so am confident I'm measuring the volumes correctly.

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you done a water change on your nano tank with this batch of salt? check the batch number from the salt bucket (if there is one) online, and see if anyone else is having the same issue. It doesn’t happen often, but bad salt batches have occurred and crashed many a tank. If you’re testing with the same kits on your nano and they are fine, I don’t see how one tank is throwing the Hannas off and not the other. I’m never quick to point the finger at salt, but it’s simply a possibility.

Good luck and sorry about your crash.

OP
OP
H

hashbrown1408

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you done a water change on your nano tank with this batch of salt? check the batch number from the salt bucket (if there is one) online, and see if anyone else is having the same issue. It doesn’t happen often, but bad salt batches have occurred and crashed many a tank. If you’re testing with the same kits on your nano and they are fine, I don’t see how one tank is throwing the Hannas off and not the other. I’m never quick to point the finger at salt, but it’s simply a possibility.

Good luck and sorry about your crash.
Thankyou! no i havent done a water change with the Nano and this batch of salt yet. Ill take a look at the batch and see if anyone has noticed anything.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you used same test kit to test dkh on the nano to see if it shows normal levels?

Also do not use all for reef to correct alk. It’s for maintenance and contains alk ca together in balanced proportions. From my understanding, Trying to up just alk will end up increasing ca also, and it’s a balance. One goes up the other goes down

Baking soda will do what you need. There are calculators on line. For my 75g reef Each 1 tsp baking soda adds .5 dkh

David_CO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I add 10ml of tank water then an additional 1ml of the Hanna reagent. For everyone's peace of mind I also work in a research lab where I use pipettes/syringes daily so am confident I'm measuring the volumes correctly.
I'd snag a salifert alk test kit for comparison

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2172.jpg
No.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 23 15.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 69 46.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 48 32.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back