Post White Spot Treatment - Adding fish timeline

Hyphnx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After cycling my tank I started to order the fish, due to limitations in the house as we were getting the floors done, I did not set up a QT. This is on me, I understand that. So in lieu of the QT I ordered the fish from a reputable company that is known to quarantine their fish. Long story short... White Spot became apparent. I have been treating with Poly Labs Medic, I am on day 9 and the white spots are no longer visible the fish all seem healthy and are eating, I supplied Selcon, Zoe and Vita-Chem with their feedings. I am also running an Aqua UV 40 Watt and 57 Watt, I dialed down the flows to both UV to about 140-200gph (Tank is 220G Total Volume). I understand the only real way for my tank to be White Spot free is to go Fallow for about 60 days... Is this the only option for going completely white spot free or am I okay to add fish in about 30 days? I currently have scheduled the tank to be plumbed under the house and into a separate filtration room and once that is completed I was going to set up a QT tank in one of the rooms that is currently being renovated.

Any advice is greatly appreciated and I understand my mistake and I don't plan on making it again but I am just trying to see what my options are.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
After cycling my tank I started to order the fish, due to limitations in the house as we were getting the floors done, I did not set up a QT. This is on me, I understand that. So in lieu of the QT I ordered the fish from a reputable company that is known to quarantine their fish. Long story short... White Spot became apparent. I have been treating with Poly Labs Medic, I am on day 9 and the white spots are no longer visible the fish all seem healthy and are eating, I supplied Selcon, Zoe and Vita-Chem with their feedings. I am also running an Aqua UV 40 Watt and 57 Watt, I dialed down the flows to both UV to about 140-200gph (Tank is 220G Total Volume). I understand the only real way for my tank to be White Spot free is to go Fallow for about 60 days... Is this the only option for going completely white spot free or am I okay to add fish in about 30 days? I currently have scheduled the tank to be plumbed under the house and into a separate filtration room and once that is completed I was going to set up a QT tank in one of the rooms that is currently being renovated.

Any advice is greatly appreciated and I understand my mistake and I don't plan on making it again but I am just trying to see what my options are.
the purpose of fallow is to assure the protozoans /parasites have gone past their typical life cycle without a host and have died off. There are various life stages for parasites where one of them is reproductive. By allowing no fish as hosts for this time period, they cannot reproduce or feed off a fish. 45 days would be best minimum as 30 would pose risk

OP
OP
Hyphnx

Hyphnx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the purpose of fallow is to assure the protozoans /parasites have gone past their typical life cycle without a host and have died off. There are various life stages for parasites where one of them is reproductive. By allowing no fish as hosts for this time period, they cannot reproduce or feed off a fish. 45 days would be best minimum as 30 would pose risk
I really appreciate the reply and insight. Once the renovations are completed I will set up what would be the frag tank and house the fish in there and then return them to the main tank and then deep clean the frag tank. Would you recommend continued treatment until then? I was going to add the carbon in two days after the 10 day treatment per Poly Lab instructions

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I really appreciate the reply and insight. Once the renovations are completed I will set up what would be the frag tank and house the fish in there and then return them to the main tank and then deep clean the frag tank. Would you recommend continued treatment until then? I was going to add the carbon in two days after the 10 day treatment per Poly Lab instructions
You got lucky with MEDIC as many do not. I personally like the product. As it contains peroxide salts, carbon will help. As for QT tank, if youve treated with copper already, you can stop or carbon the tank and add Prazi Pro as a secondary treatment, but in lieu of Prazi, I would recommend instead , reef safe Ruby Rally Pro which will guard your fish against an array of issues, including velevet, flukes/worms, bacterial and more

OP
OP
Hyphnx

Hyphnx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got lucky with MEDIC as many do not. I personally like the product. As it contains peroxide salts, carbon will help. As for QT tank, if youve treated with copper already, you can stop or carbon the tank and add Prazi Pro as a secondary treatment, but in lieu of Prazi, I would recommend instead , reef safe Ruby Rally Pro which will guard your fish against an array of issues, including velevet, flukes/worms, bacterial and more
I do not have a QT, yet.. Does the Ruby Rally Pro go into the Display Tank after carbon for a few days or do I use that in the QT?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I do not have a QT, yet.. Does the Ruby Rally Pro go into the Display Tank after carbon for a few days or do I use that in the QT?
It is safe yes to use in the display tank

OP
OP
Hyphnx

Hyphnx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is safe yes to use in the display tank
So after the round of treatment with Ruby Reef Rally Pro and Kick-Ich, would you consider the Display Tank to be "free" of parasites? Of course I would be Quarantining any new fish after.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So after the round of treatment with Ruby Reef Rally Pro and Kick-Ich, would you consider the Display Tank to be "free" of parasites? Of course I would be Quarantining any new fish after.
If you have reached the 6 week mark with no fish - Yes

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 158 74.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 7.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 33 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back