Prazi In Display Tank

jaredrah777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heh guys so i just dosed prazi in my DT for possible flukes on my tomini tang. I added 2.5 ml or 1 teaspoon for every 20 gallons as noted on the bottle. Now where do i go from here?

i added an airstone for air. but im just curious because the bottle directions are confusing. So do i dose every 5-7 days ? and before i dose do a water change?? I turned my uv and my skimmer off as well

@vetteguy53081

@Jay Hemdal

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazipro will need (2) treatments about 9 days apart to do the job and will likely make your skimmer go crazy. You can remove the cup for a few days, but leave it running so its oxygenating the tank during the treatment.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazipro needs about 24 hours to be effective.

Dose it per directions and then let things go for at least 24 hours.
if you have any kind of bacterial bloom/cloudiness in the tank, you can do an water change if necessary. Redose it after 9 days. Again, don't do any water changes for at least 24 hours. You may or may not need a 3rd treatment.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Heh guys so i just dosed prazi in my DT for possible flukes on my tomini tang. I added 2.5 ml or 1 teaspoon for every 20 gallons as noted on the bottle. Now where do i go from here?

i added an airstone for air. but im just curious because the bottle directions are confusing. So do i dose every 5-7 days ? and before i dose do a water change?? I turned my uv and my skimmer off as well

@vetteguy53081

@Jay Hemdal
Dose for 8 days at 90% of recommended, do water change on day 9 and dose another 8 days.
Increase aeration with air stone and as Prazi will reduce both oxygen and appetite slightly

OP
OP
J

jaredrah777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dose for 8 days at 90% of recommended, do water change on day 9 and dose another 8 days.
Increase aeration with air stone and as Prazi will reduce both oxygen and appetite slightly
so everyday for 8 days i dose my tank? do a water change on the 9th day and then repeat?

OP
OP
J

jaredrah777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazipro needs about 24 hours to be effective.

Dose it per directions and then let things go for at least 24 hours.
if you have any kind of bacterial bloom/cloudiness in the tank, you can do an water change if necessary. Redose it after 9 days. Again, don't do any water changes for at least 24 hours. You may or may not need a 3rd treatment.
other people seem to say dose everyday for 8 days as vette (belows post) states. why do you think ur solution is better?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@vetteguy53081

@Jay Hemdal

Double check your dose - 1 teaspoon per 20 gallons is equal to 5 ml per 20 gallons, not 2.5

You should dose once, and then again 9 days later to try and kill off any flukes that have since hatched from eggs. It can sometimes take 3 treatments for gill flukes and as many as five treatments for Neobenedenia (which is why I prefer hyposalinity to treat that).

Jay

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
other people seem to say dose everyday for 8 days as vette (belows post) states. why do you think ur solution is better?
I think Vette just worded his post funny. I don't think he was telling you to dose it every day for 8 days straight. Just dose it once, then wait 8 days and then dose it again.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is not what the directions say.

It's 4.9 ml per teaspoon. You hit with a half dose.

Attachments

• PXL_20220419_235503948.jpg
    PXL_20220419_235503948.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
J

jaredrah777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Your 55 gallon tank probably isn't holding 55 gallons if there is rock and sand in it. For example, my 144 gallon tank actually is holding 100 gallons. Dosing and meds should be done off of true volume.

2. Say you actually have 45 gallons, you should have dosed 2.25 teaspoons. 45/20=2.25

3. So yeah, you probably overdosed by about 33%.

4. Get a teaspoon measurer instead estimating with a tablespoon.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine. Prazipro is pretty gentle on fish. I accidentally doubled the dosage once and everything was fine. I didn't even realize my mistake until a couple days later. Fish were fluke free!

But yes, the proper dosage is 1 teaspoon per 20 gallons of actual water volume.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the instructions are sooo confusing what the heck… so did i overdose or under dose? and for future reference how many table spoons do you think i should dose

sorry

@Lost in the Sauce
Let's just keep it easy. 50 gallon volume at 5ml prazi per 20g.

This would be 12.5 ml prazi.

OP
OP
J

jaredrah777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One dose, one water change, then repeat 2 nd dose 2 nd WC 8 days or so later. Be careful when you turn your skimmer back on!
when do you do the first water change? 3 days after the first dose?

should i let my skimmer just foam all the prazi out ?

Brian24540

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A related point from someone who grew up in the UK (20 fluid ounces = 1pint), lived for 14 years in the U.S. (16 fl oz = 1 pint), and now lives in metric France, I would really recommend that everyone works in metric units for calculating treatment dosages, WC rates etc. It really much simpler and therefore much less prone to error. Teaspoons, tablespoons, cups and fluid ounces are all replaced by ml and moving from ml to litres couldn't be easier - especially compared with relating, for example, fluid ounces to gallons.
And a bonus: 1 litre of water weighs 1 kilogram, so moving between liquid volume and weight is simplified.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A related point from someone who grew up in the UK (20 fluid ounces = 1pint), lived for 14 years in the U.S. (16 fl oz = 1 pint), and now lives in metric France, I would really recommend that everyone works in metric units for calculating treatment dosages, WC rates etc. It really much simpler and therefore much less prone to error. Teaspoons, tablespoons, cups and fluid ounces are all replaced by ml and moving from ml to litres couldn't be easier - especially compared with relating, for example, fluid ounces to gallons.
And a bonus: 1 litre of water weighs 1 kilogram, so moving between liquid volume and weight is simplified.

Only for freshwater, not for us reefers. 1 gallon of seawater would weigh 1.025 kilograms, would it not? So that doesn't make anything easier. I'll stick with the freedom loving units I grew up with thank you very much! :p

Brian24540

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only for freshwater, not for us reefers. 1 gallon of seawater would weigh 1.025 kilograms, would it not? So that doesn't make anything easier. I'll stick with the freedom loving units I grew up with thank you very much! :p
That would be freedom loving Imperial units would it not. :zany-face: And if we all could be within 2.5% accuracy in dosing/medicating, that would be pretty good I'd say.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 13 9.4%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 38 27.3%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 67 48.2%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 12.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back