Prazi or Copper First for New Fish QT? Does it matter?

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read humble.fish quarantine procedures, this is my first time quarantining any new fish. I have a 60 breeder with a couple powerheads, heater, and marineland hob filter for QT.

Im picking up a Magnificent Foxface tomorrow and am setting my QT up tonight. My LFS recommended starting with prazi first saying it’s just much easier to get out of the water with just some carbon.

So between humble.fish recommendations and what my LFS said…. What are the recommendations or opinions you guys have?? Does it matter which is first, prazi or copper? Skip copper and just do prazi and feed selcon or metro soaked foods and observe?

I also have seachem metroplex, focus, garlic guard, and selcon. Trying to get all these procedures down and what order to do them in and see what everyone else uses or doesn’t feel is that necessary to use.

I was going to have my QT at 77-78 degrees and at 1.025 salinity like my display tank.
532E68B2-2D44-4D4F-9466-32732BA6F3C1.jpeg

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
prazi will degrade in few days and after 5 days will need to do 2nd round. no need for carbon to take it out.
run 1st dose of prazi for 5 days then do a 25% water change, then redose prazi for 2nd time and run for 5 days do a 25% water change and start using copper after that without the use of carbon through any of it. if you have uv and skimmer turn flow to low where skimmer doesnt over flow into the cup but generates a lot of bubbles. Prazi will deplete O2

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I’ve read humble.fish quarantine procedures, this is my first time quarantining any new fish. I have a 60 breeder with a couple powerheads, heater, and marineland hob filter for QT.

Im picking up a Magnificent Foxface tomorrow and am setting my QT up tonight. My LFS recommended starting with prazi first saying it’s just much easier to get out of the water with just some carbon.

So between humble.fish recommendations and what my LFS said…. What are the recommendations or opinions you guys have?? Does it matter which is first, prazi or copper? Skip copper and just do prazi and feed selcon or metro soaked foods and observe?

I also have seachem metroplex, focus, garlic guard, and selcon. Trying to get all these procedures down and what order to do them in and see what everyone else uses or doesn’t feel is that necessary to use.

I was going to have my QT at 77-78 degrees and at 1.025 salinity like my display tank.
I am often disturbed when someone goes from source to source then asks for help as there is and will be much conflict but it is your tank and your right.
To answer your question. . . Typical quarantine begins with copper based medication which too can be removed with carbon and other resins. Assuming fish has no parasites, yes you can start with Praxiquantel which is PraziPro. Do realize prazi reduces both oxygen and appetite so plan on adding an airstone for added oxygen. With Prazi, treatment regimen is dosing prazi for an 8 days period, day 9 do a water change and then do one more 8 day dose interval

Selcon can be added to food for fish and metro with Focus as a binder for treatment of internal and external issues

OP
OP
CincyReefer07

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
prazi will degrade in few days and after 5 days will need to do 2nd round. no need for carbon to take it out.
run 1st dose of prazi for 5 days then do a 25% water change, then redose prazi for 2nd time and run for 5 days do a 25% water change and start using copper after that without the use of carbon through any of it. if you have uv and skimmer turn flow to low where skimmer doesnt over flow into the cup but generates a lot of bubbles. Prazi will deplete O2
No skimmer or uv on the QT tank I have, just a couple powerheads and a hob marineland filter. I planned on aiming one powerhead to the water surface for surface agitation

Dr. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the instructions from BRS website.

Hikari Directions For Use

Start treatment with as large a water change as practical or start with new water. Any water used should first be conditioned with ULTIMATE or a combination of Liquid Buffered ClorAm-X and Stress-X to remove ammonia, chlorine, and chloramines. Do not stop filtration, but remove activated carbon and stop foam-fractionation (protein skimming) and UV sterilization. SHAKE VIGOROUSLY before use. Measure Aquarium Solutions Liquid PraziPro at the rate of one (1) teaspoon per 20 gallons of water to be treated. (one (1) fl. oz. per 120 gallons) Measure Pond Solutions Liquid PraziPro at the rate of one (1) teaspoon per 32 gallons of water to be treated. (one (1) fl. oz. per 200 gallons) This produces a concentration of 2.5 mg/L. Distribute the proper amount around the edge of the aquarium or pond or directly into the filter box to achieve the best overall distribution. A single treatment lasting 5-7 days is normally sufficient. Repeat as necessary, but no more than once every 3 to 5 days. May be used as a preventative, at the standard dosage, when a disease is likely. Do not use with other drugs or disease treatments. May cause temporary foaming.

Dr. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
only advice i would give is to use less than recommended dose on the bottle. i would say do 70-80% of what it says.
In my experience some fish do not tolerate full dose.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Always run copper first and then prazi. Protozoans will kill fish much faster that flukes will.
Here is a link to our current general quarantine protocol:

Jay

bhipp1281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am often disturbed when someone goes from source to source then asks for help as there is and will be much conflict but it is your tank and your right.
To answer your question. . . Typical quarantine begins with copper based medication which too can be removed with carbon and other resins. Assuming fish has no parasites, yes you can start with Praxiquantel which is PraziPro. Do realize prazi reduces both oxygen and appetite so plan on adding an airstone for added oxygen. With Prazi, treatment regimen is dosing prazi for an 8 days period, day 9 do a water change and then do one more 8 day dose interval

Selcon can be added to food for fish and metro with Focus as a binder for treatment of internal and external issues
Would you recommend doing the treatment through the food on top of copper? Or do one or the other?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Would you recommend doing the treatment through the food on top of copper? Or do one or the other?
None to food and begin with copper, then follow with PraziPro, however you can use General cure which works for ich and contains a low level of Prazi

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Medicated foods will fail to work unless you calculate the dose properly, and that can be tough to do:

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 23.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 74 71.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.8%
Back