Prazipro dosing confusion.

Amos-Moses

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick question to clear up some confusion. I dosed my tank with prazipro, it’s been 4 days and was going to do a water change and second dose...do I need to wait before doing the second dose or so I just throw it in after the water change?

thanks for them help in advance!

OP
OP
A

Amos-Moses

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use this calendar
Thanks, still a bit confused by this though. So the calander says second treatment after 7-10 days. Does that mean do the first dose, wait 7-10 days, water change, and dose again? Or does it mean first dose, water change, wait 7-10 days with unmediated water, then dose second time after 7-10 days of clean water?

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, still a bit confused by this though. So the calander says second treatment after 7-10 days. Does that mean do the first dose, wait 7-10 days, water change, and dose again? Or does it mean first dose, water change, wait 7-10 days with unmediated water, then dose second time after 7-10 days of clean water?
The praziquantel in Prazipro dissipates and stops being effective after 72 hours. So you need to leave it in there for at least 72 hours. I do a 25% water change after 72 hours and add carbon until day 7. Then I remove the carbon and do my second dose followed by another 25% water change and add carbon after 72 hours again. I do it this way as Prazipro can sometimes be an appetite suppressant. If your fish are eating and otherwise looking ok, you could do the water change right before the second dose as well.

OP
OP
A

Amos-Moses

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The praziquantel in Prazipro dissipates and stops being effective after 72 hours. So you need to leave it in there for at least 72 hours. I do a 25% water change after 72 hours and add carbon until day 7. Then I remove the carbon and do my second dose followed by another 25% water change and add carbon after 72 hours again. I do it this way as Prazipro can sometimes be an appetite suppressant. If your fish are eating and otherwise looking ok, you could do the water change right before the second dose as well.
Thanks! Unfortunately the fish I’m trying to treat weren’t eating prior to starting Prazipro. Everything else in the tank is eating fine, don’t have a QT so had to treat the DT

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shouldn’t be a problem. Just do water change after 72 hours.

OP
OP
A

Amos-Moses

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shouldn’t be a problem. Just do water change after 72 hours.
I actually won’t be able to do a water change till Monday....do you think that’s too long? I Have Whats now feeling like a very unfortunately timed trip from Thursday-Sunday....been trying dang near everything I know (which is very little, new to the hobby) to help this guys and it’s driving me crazy!

also, do you think this is over kill for oxygenating the water in a 32.5 gallon tank...I have two water output spouts that agitate the top of the water, a powerhead I have near the surface of the water, and a thing called a “bubble wall” which is like a 7 inch airstone that’s about the diameter of a straw. I have the prazipro in with a very small dose of prime (slightly over 1ml.) I know those two don’t play well together when it comes to oxygen and I want to make sure they have enough.

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the water change is done prior to the second dose your fine. Why are you using Prime? Thought this was an established display tank. I’ve never mixed the two so not sure on that one. I only use prime in QT when there is no bio filter to save on water changes. I do know good surface agitation is as good or even better than the bubbler/air stone.

OP
OP
A

Amos-Moses

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the water change is done prior to the second dose your fine. Why are you using Prime? Thought this was an established display tank. I’ve never mixed the two so not sure on that one. I only use prime in QT when there is no bio filter to save on water changes. I do know good surface agitation is as good or even better than the bubbler/air stone.
Using prime because we got water from a LFS to do the water change and the salinity was a bit high so i had to dilute it with a bit of tap water. Wanted to make sure any chlorine or anything like that was knocked out. It’s weird, right after the water change one of the clowns I’m trying to treat lost all his color. Worried he or even anyone in the tank will survive the night. I’m pretty new to all this so learning the hard way I guess.

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry. I didn't realize you were new to all this. looks like Sunday will be day 8 with prazipro. Make sure you get the second dose as close as possible to the correct time frame according to the calendar. I'm wondering why you started Prazipro in the first place. Did you see flashing/scratching or confirm flukes? Are you just using it prophylacticly?

OP
OP
A

Amos-Moses

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry. I didn't realize you were new to all this. looks like Sunday will be day 8 with prazipro. Make sure you get the second dose as close as possible to the correct time frame according to the calendar. I'm wondering why you started Prazipro in the first place. Did you see flashing/scratching or confirm flukes? Are you just using it prophylacticly?
Sorry for delayed response. It’s kind of a long story, but essentially after 1 month of everything going perfectly fine both clowns just stopped eating and would spend all day in separate corners. Haven’t seen and flashing or scratching, at least not obvious. They just seemed to go downhill. The smaller (guessing male) was found dead Thursday morning...rip Fox. I did a water change and second dose of prazipro and the poor guy almost immediately lost all his color and was dead by the morning. It was actually shocking how rapidly he declined. Went from just not eating to that. The larger clown is still alive. I just saw her eat a single brine shrimp but that’s it. I also have a fire fish goby, a turbo snail, and a fire shrimp they were later additions to the tank but all seem to be doing fine....I went with prazipro based off suggestions from LFS and research I did. Seemed like it treats multiple things so I went with it as a Hail Mary. I really can’t figure out they may have. It’s just a bummer because I don’t have the resources to set up a QT.

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's too bad about the clown. You've probably already done this but first thing to do when you notice a sick fish is test the major water properties. Temperature, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Salinity & pH. If you don't have test kits, you'd need to take water sample to fish store for testing. Then make sure your feeding quality food. Brine shrimp is fine but should not be the only or primary food. Pellets, mysis and frozen formula/LRS type foods would be better food for quality nutrition. Prazipro is mainly for flukes and can help with intestinal worms but will not treat bacterial infections or most other parasites. Velvet or Brooklynella can kill a fish very fast and is common in clown fish. Bacterial infections, flukes and ick are usually slower progressing. Posting a picture of the fish under white light with clean glass and all your water parameters will usually get better responses.

OP
OP
A

Amos-Moses

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's too bad about the clown. You've probably already done this but first thing to do when you notice a sick fish is test the major water properties. Temperature, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Salinity & pH. If you don't have test kits, you'd need to take water sample to fish store for testing. Then make sure your feeding quality food. Brine shrimp is fine but should not be the only or primary food. Pellets, mysis and frozen formula/LRS type foods would be better food for quality nutrition. Prazipro is mainly for flukes and can help with intestinal worms but will not treat bacterial infections or most other parasites. Velvet or Brooklynella can kill a fish very fast and is common in clown fish. Bacterial infections, flukes and ick are usually slower progressing. Posting a picture of the fish under white light with clean glass and all your water parameters will usually get better responses.
Here are a couple photos. Excuse the fire fish he was being a bit of a camera hog. Parameters all seem pretty good with API test kit. Ammonia is 0 nitrates were 5 nitrites 0 PH has been a little low at 78, temp has been also a little low at 75.5 and salinity is currently at 1.027. It’s usually 1.025 but had some salt creep from the bubbler I put in when I started prazi. It’s sucks to have lost the one clown, and I’m guessing the other is next. I’m worried I’ll lose everything which would be truly discouraging for my first saltwater tank experience. I just feel bad for the little guys I wish I knew what to do to better help them.

Attachments

• F40AC72B-5F55-4ED0-96B8-C6D81E6BB258.jpeg
    F40AC72B-5F55-4ED0-96B8-C6D81E6BB258.jpeg
    160.7 KB · Views: 169
  • E1DEEA9D-A813-4824-8732-620BD0369BB2.jpeg
    E1DEEA9D-A813-4824-8732-620BD0369BB2.jpeg
    203.6 KB · Views: 200
  • 0FF03F23-9525-47C2-8224-824E90F70B46.jpeg
    0FF03F23-9525-47C2-8224-824E90F70B46.jpeg
    201.2 KB · Views: 217
  • 5F2DF266-F0A1-40B3-8488-6E23B647B131.jpeg
    5F2DF266-F0A1-40B3-8488-6E23B647B131.jpeg
    199.8 KB · Views: 199

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I dosed every 4-5 days at 80% of recommended

OP
OP
A

Amos-Moses

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And here is a video of the little guy that died. You can see he has a bump and white spot on his cheek. The bigger clown was really going after him for a bit and she kept biting him there so I just suspected that’s what the bump and spot were from.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a couple photos. Excuse the fire fish he was being a bit of a camera hog. Parameters all seem pretty good with API test kit. Ammonia is 0 nitrates were 5 nitrites 0 PH has been a little low at 78, temp has been also a little low at 75.5 and salinity is currently at 1.027. It’s usually 1.025 but had some salt creep from the bubbler I put in when I started prazi. It’s sucks to have lost the one clown, and I’m guessing the other is next. I’m worried I’ll lose everything which would be truly discouraging for my first saltwater tank experience. I just feel bad for the little guys I wish I knew what to do to better help them.
Just an observation - in the third picture down, the nape of the clownfish is very pinched, that indicates long term malnutrition, but I can’t tell you why.
Jay

OP
OP
A

Amos-Moses

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an observation - in the third picture down, the nape of the clownfish is very pinched, that indicates long term malnutrition, but I can’t tell you why.
Jay
Hmm, maybe she wasn’t eating well at the LFS. Anyway, the little clown didn’t make it. It was strange. I did a large water change and dosed the second round of prazipro. Almost immediately after the little clown lost all his color and didn’t make it through the night. As of today, the larger clown is back to normal. She’s been eating like normal, swimming like normal and all seems good. Wish the little guy survived but at least I didn’t lose everyone.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, take the smaller victory I guess! Sometimes, there are no survivors...

Jay

OP
OP
A

Amos-Moses

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, take the smaller victory I guess! Sometimes, there are no survivors...

Jay
That’s exactly how I’m looking at it. Wish I knew ultimately what it was that killed him though. I have a feeling it was the shock of a large water change. But who knows. I’m new to hobby and still have a ton to learn!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 49 34.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 37 25.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 29 20.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 27 18.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back