Prazipro dosing confusion.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes should not affect fish negatively unless something is very off with your new water. Are you making sure your water change water matches your tank before adding it? Salinity, temp, etc..??

Something is off if water changes results in dead or stressed fish.

OP
OP
A

Amos-Moses

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes should not affect fish negatively unless something is very off with your new water. Are you making sure your water change water matches your tank before adding it? Salinity, temp, etc..??

Something is off if water changes results in dead or stressed fish.
Unfortunately for that change the temp was off. My gf checked the temp, thought it was spot on but I’m thinking she didn’t let the thermometer sit long enough because once the water was in I noticed the tank temp drop like 2 degrees or so.

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes should not affect fish negatively unless something is very off with your new water.
Freshly made saltwater contains 0.5 - 1ppm total ammonia (varies per brand of salt), very large waterchanges can be tricky!
Many people aren't aware of this.

Do an ammonia test on your freshly made saltwater and don't be shocked like i was.

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshly made saltwater contains 0.5 - 1ppm total ammonia (varies per brand of salt), very large waterchanges can be tricky!
Many people aren't aware of this.

Do an ammonia test on your freshly made saltwater and don't be shocked like i was.
Yes - we learned that back in the early 1990's when we were doing water changes on a new jellyfish exhibit and couldn't control the ammonia. At least one company knew about it then, but didn't tell anyone. It is apparently a contaminant in one of the salts - possibly MgCL. I measure in Ammonia-N, but still, the readings I get for the salts we use is much lower - 0.12 was the highest.

Here is a report I made on evaluating sea salts. I wrote this under a pen name many years ago:

Jay

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 42 27.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 30 19.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 29 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back