Priolepis Semidoliata larvae.

nanofishies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone here have info of suitable foods for this species? I know Ora has had some luck with priolepis species. But I can’t find much info on them. My guess is parvocallanus is to large. Have read that they may eat ciliates or dinoflagellates. My two gobies are having larvae now. I also moved my sexy shrimp larvae to a new tank, so my kreisel is open . But I may try the black bucket option.

Just having issues finding any info of what foods work for this species. I know Ora stated that this family is difficult and wasn’t worth it for them to do. But I’m curious if it’s worth it for home breeders.
3B9E1A2F-249D-4600-A528-C5C2FDD1C767.jpeg
42F608EA-DDE3-4D75-9A9C-8F1381E10A4A.png

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at a rearing attempt for Priolepis nocturna*, they likely will eat tintinnids and dinoflagellates, but they're not likely to gain much nutrition from it (the 15 larvae in the study that did eat these things still died like all the other larvae at day 5 post hatch). They seem to have eaten these because they were easy to catch/prey on more than because they were preferred prey options. You'll likely have to follow a similar protocol as Frank Baensch used in rearing Priolepis cincta** and screen them Parvocalanus nauplii of varying sizes as they grow. Based on P. nocturna's gape size at hatching, you'll probably need to screen the nauplii so the fish are being offered nauplii no larger than 55 microns (so basically only the earliest of hatched nauplii) at first.

*Priolepis nocturna rearing attempt:
**Priolepis cincta rearing:

OP
OP
N

nanofishies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at a rearing attempt for Priolepis nocturna*, they likely will eat tintinnids and dinoflagellates, but they're not likely to gain much nutrition from it (the 15 larvae in the study that did eat these things still died like all the other larvae at day 5 post hatch). They seem to have eaten these because they were easy to catch/prey on more than because they were preferred prey options. You'll likely have to follow a similar protocol as Frank Baensch used in rearing Priolepis cincta** and screen them Parvocalanus nauplii of varying sizes as they grow. Based on P. nocturna's gape size at hatching, you'll probably need to screen the nauplii so the fish are being offered nauplii no larger than 55 microns (so basically only the earliest of hatched nauplii) at first.

*Priolepis nocturna rearing attempt:
**Priolepis cincta rearing:
This was how I planned on approaching it. As I’ve read both of these articles(and any I can find online).
I wasn’t sure if filtered parvo would work. And wanted some 2nd opinions before I went and purchased cultures. I can also feed the larger parvo to my shrimp larvae.

seemed to me that if parvo was suitable, you’d think someone like Ora would be able to cost efficiently produce them. Seems the larvae are comparable in size. My rough measurements was 2mm in length and .2 mm in width. So utilizing 10-20% of their mouth gape would require 40 micron nauplii or smaller. That was my worry with parvo.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seemed to me that if parvo was suitable, you’d think someone like Ora would be able to cost efficiently produce them. Seems the larvae are comparable in size. My rough measurements was 2mm in length and .2 mm in width. So utilizing 10-20% of their mouth gape would require 40 micron nauplii or smaller. That was my worry with parvo.
Yeah, these are fair concerns. I know they mentioned that these guys don't sell for much, so it might just be that they're not worth the extra cost of the feed screening process.

That said, I don't know for sure if the parvo will work (though I'd be curious to find out), but I'm not sure of any other pods that would be small enough and nutritious enough to work if the parvo doesn't. There are a number of different dinoflagellate species you could try that might be worth looking into if the parvo doesn't work, but they definitely cost more (and, as mentioned in my post above, even if they eat the dinos, there's no guarantee it will provide adequate nutrition for them).

Glad to see you're doing your research and not just jumping in blind here, and I'm curious to see if you can get this figured out (so please keep me updated on how it goes).

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

OP
OP
N

nanofishies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I have eggs again!

i also talked to some people with experience on this family’s larvae. Got some great info. So I need to get my brt built, then I’m ordering some iso and tetra and f2. Need to figure out a way to keep the iso warmer as my basement is 69*. Then once the cultures are going I’ll order some parvo. Then maybe I’ll have a chance.
EC4611FB-E7B7-4A65-9138-FF5E70EB5B6D.png

OP
OP
N

nanofishies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates on this?
Yes an no. I apparently can’t grow isocrysis. So my parvo was also unsuccessful. They still lay eggs like clockwork. I’m actually getting new cultures tomorrow. They have quite large mouths. So I’m guessing parvo will work.

Been refinishing my fish room. So I Havnt really had space to try the larvae. However the drywall is now done. And I’ll have the space soon. I have gotten some cool videos and photos of the larvae. Including hatch out. They made it three days before they starved. And the egg yolk is gone after 3 days.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info on the yolk.

Isochrysis is notoriously difficult to grow (and there’s some speculation it may have to do with cultures being contaminated or mostly dead when shipped), but this thread may help:

OP
OP
N

nanofishies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info on the yolk.

Isochrysis is notoriously difficult to grow (and there’s some speculation it may have to do with cultures being contaminated or mostly dead when shipped), but this thread may help:
Ya previously I had gotten cultures from random people. This time I’m actually getting some from a good source. So I’m hopi g for the best. I’m all sterilized and ready. Got air filters this time. Doesn’t help I have tetraselmis. That stuff can fly.
DD909C5E-4FF0-48BF-A568-BD6E29C9EEBE.jpeg

OP
OP
N

nanofishies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info on the yolk.

This stuff looks awesome. Lois thicker than previous culture I’ve gotten.
578A0F66-3475-463F-875E-E083C26D538A.jpeg
885C8A7F-53C3-417D-AC25-21FC2AF3007D.jpeg

OP
OP
N

nanofishies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New toy.
2DE98FEF-FE7E-4E91-A536-DF625C453416.jpeg

Iso cultures and parvo going well. And my clowns spawned for the first time 2 days ago.
A176A56D-6272-4F31-A113-36225D417C74.jpeg

Looks like I need to start culturing parvo in a 5 gallon bucket. Also built a nauplii collector. It’s ghetto. But it should work until I can 3d print a better design.
E4218917-7216-4214-8469-170637BF6EF4.jpeg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%

Back