PSXerholic's 210 Gallon Reef in "Reefcity Houston" ;-)

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another time lapse of my Blue Stag, pretty high in light in order to get it back to the Baby blue color.
This is 90 days between, and I believe fragged twice to avoid collision with it's neighbors.

Can't help myself to express that, but I believe strongly that my Strontium maintained around 10 is a big influencing factor on growth !!!

-Andre

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another time lapse of my Blue Stag, pretty high in light in order to get it back to the Baby blue color.
This is 90 days between, and I believe fragged twice to avoid collision with it's neighbors.

Can't help myself to express that, but I believe strongly that my Strontium maintained around 10 is a big influencing factor on growth !!!

-Andre

In the background you can see btw., the green slimer crawling up the wall ;-)

-Andre

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So here a few quick shots of the Sun Coral which is doing great luckily.
I feed the SC every few days (maybe once a week), the other time it gets good food from feeding the tank in the late evening.

I mix Phytoplankton, Frozen mix cubes, Frenzy and Reef roids for that dinner meal.
So I was able to "train" the Sun Coral to open up prior feeding time.

Great animal !!!
I have a Video already on FB, and will post the You tube short video here soon as well.

-Andre

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice shots!

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a big fan of water changes as I don't dose and never have. I do 50 gallons per week on my 220/110 sump. I feel that's why I have been pretty successful in keeping my tank healthy IMO. Would love to setup a 24/7 water change system, just not sure how to go about doing so. Could you fly to Akron Ohio and help set one up for me...

GOALS!!!

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great Shots!!!

THX a lot.
Will publish a short macro video I took.

Funny that actually you liked this post.
The only way I can keep it happy like that, is by feeding every few days with a big portion of "Coral Frenzy" soaked in water with a bit of Selcon in the evening when opened up!!!
I pour that mix into the tank and do not spot feed anymore.
This keeps my LPS and Zoa's quite happy for a ULNS !!!!

Great food !!!

-Andre

Coral Frenzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THX a lot.
Will publish a short macro video I took.

Funny that actually you liked this post.
The only way I can keep it happy like that, is by feeding every few days with a big portion of "Coral Frenzy" soaked in water with a bit of Selcon in the evening when opened up!!!
I pour that mix into the tank and do not spot feed anymore.
This keeps my LPS and Zoa's quite happy for a ULNS !!!!

Great food !!!

-Andre
Thank you for the compliment :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All right, here is the macro video of the Sun Coral.
Just amazing.

Watch in HD !!!

-Andre

Beautiful job man! Can you tell us about your feeding, how long you have had them, etc..?

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful job man! Can you tell us about your feeding, how long you have had them, etc..?

THX, sure........no problem.

I have this Sun Coral since about a bit longer then 4 months now.
Had Sun Corals in the past on the previous tank years ago, with no success :-(
They always died after a while.

So this time I was waiting with Sun Corals until I ran my tank mostly sockless and free of GFO, but not sure if the GFO has anything to do with the success now.
I did placed the Coral in a lower flow area with not much light on the bottom, underneath the Flow pump.
That ensures the feeding on this side of the tank brings a lot of the Coral Frenzy mix to the Coral.

In the beginning I was spot feeding as shown in this post like every other day:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/p...n-reefcity-houston.235601/page-6#post-3026673

Weeks ago I stopped spot feeding the Coral and went to a daily feeding of the tank with a mix of mostly Croal Frenzy coral food with a bit of Selcon (just a few drops).
I have a total of 260G, with the frag system plumbed into the main tank, and mix 2 cups of water, 1/2 tablespoon of Coral frenzy powder and 3-5 drops of Selcon (Selcon recommened to me originally by DIESEL!!!)
Occassionally I do mix in some Reef Roids into that mix.
So that daily feeding helps quite a lot to keep Po4 up, and feeds all the Zoa's and LPS.

Even if I have this Coral not really long, I can see on the growth that it does really well so far with that method.
Typically if they grow nicely, then they make it.

Only difficult thing was to train the Coral, to open up for dinner in the evening.
When I first got it, it was used to open up in the morning around 4am, lol.
So I shiftet the spot feeding in the beginning to 8pm for a few days, and then it actually started open up prior feeding at that time.

LMK if you guys have any other questions that I have not covered here.

-Andre

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a big fan of water changes as I don't dose and never have. I do 50 gallons per week on my 220/110 sump. I feel that's why I have been pretty successful in keeping my tank healthy IMO. Would love to setup a 24/7 water change system, just not sure how to go about doing so. Could you fly to Akron Ohio and help set one up for me...

GOALS!!!

You know that I seriously regret that I did not do the Water change system earlier?
So much less mess and changes done regulary in no time and no hassle.

Even like a portable trolley mounted Water change and mixing system will be a big relief!
One Pump get the old water out, the other pump get's the new water in, thats it.

You might saw my WCS article in here earlier. Where is the issue to build or make one?
It's not that difficult, just looks complex since its a mix of RODI, Top Off and mixing station........

-Andre

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shoutout to my local Reef club members on MARSH.

ADMIN, please remove or edit post if rules are violated.

Since I was a bad boy ;-( , I can't post in the Fundraiser pages for @steve&mari but would like to thank you guys here as well.

Many thanks to @Diesel for the additional contributions he throwed in, as well the auctions he did on R2R !!!
Many thanks to @revhtree for allowing all of us to help a Reefer friend in need.
And many thanks to all my local reefer buddies in Houston.

MARSHIANS !!!!!!!!!!
So we got the Total of $850 raised if payments will be cleared !!!!!!!
Thx to the following members :

PSXerholic - Donation $100
Clownsrcoo - Pack #6 - $120
Dragon99 - Pack #5 - $160
Jamie9169 - Pack #7 - $150
Sneezebeetle - Pack #4 - $60
Fishkeeper82 - Pack #3 - $120
Paraletho - Pack #2 - $70
CBB Steve - Pack#1 - $70

Total amount raised - $850
That list will be posted if possible in the Go fund me page very soon...........

-PSXerholic
Andre

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for your prayers time and support of our family. I tried to respond on the local site but couldn't post not sure why. If you would please pass along our deep gratitude to everyone for all your kindness and generosity. It's truly beautiful to be a reefer it's the best community of people anyone could ever hope to be a part of.
Through this our reefs been neglected by my depression and stress making it hard to find positive energy. You all have lifted me and I've been fighting with algae to get our reef back into shape it should be again.
Thank you seems so weak in comparison to the love and inspiration that's been shown to us we know we're not alone bless you all for opening up our eyes to that. Have a blessed day and hopefully everyone had fun and enjoys their new corals.

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for your prayers time and support of our family. I tried to respond on the local site but couldn't post not sure why. If you would please pass along our deep gratitude to everyone for all your kindness and generosity. It's truly beautiful to be a reefer it's the best community of people anyone could ever hope to be a part of.
Through this our reefs been neglected by my depression and stress making it hard to find positive energy. You all have lifted me and I've been fighting with algae to get our reef back into shape it should be again.
Thank you seems so weak in comparison to the love and inspiration that's been shown to us we know we're not alone bless you all for opening up our eyes to that. Have a blessed day and hopefully everyone had fun and enjoys their new corals.

Thank you.........
I will spread the word and I'm glad that we were at least a bit of help.

You won't believe how much people think about you and your family in these hard times Steve.

Once somebody told me something very true.
"A person who does survive and survive and survive....... is not a survivor !!!!!
It's a warrior....................."
That actually is exactly you Steve, you being there keep fighting for the ones you love..........so keep fighting like a Warrior.
For me you are a true hero, in these hard times the only thing you really think and worry about is your family and loved ones, which makes you an incredible father and husband.

So keep fighting.....................

-Andre

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got pics of the new T5 lighting yet?

Does that count??? ;-)

14102148_1680437342280425_1125031256750207529_n_zpsnodcdi6z.jpg

14102148_1680437342280425_1125031256750207529_n_zpsnodcdi6z.jpg

-Andre

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 48.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 17 20.7%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.3%
Back