Pump off overnight & problems with kalk

oysterjake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woke up to find the ATO alarm going off and the sump full and my Sinccra 3.5 pump off.
I wasn’t sure what to do but I know it probably had something to do with my kslkwasser additions so I soaked it in vinegar. After 20 min I ran it in 50/50 vinegar and tap water and it started working again. It’s been going well since.

Is there an optimal way to dose kalk and not have it coat and cause malfunction to the pump and Tunze sensor? I’m thinking about not using calc since I dose automatically anyway. Or could I dose a highly potent solution of calc separate from my ATO? Anyone doing that? That would allow me to input in a different chamber away from thpump and sensors.

OP
OP
oysterjake

oysterjake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I found this thread too

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a stirrer and dosing pump for the Kalk. It is a bit expensive but totally worth it.

A lot of people complain that the evap is inconsistent and therefore kalk using a dosing pump won't work. The best way to deal with that is to dose the min evap with the doser and then let the ATO take care of the peaks. So if you have 500ml - 700ml a day evap. set you doser at 500ml and then let the ATO pick up the 200ml spike over the day.

image0.jpg

OP
OP
oysterjake

oysterjake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I’m limited to keeping equipment under the cabinet but could put a small one.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there an optimal way to dose kalk and not have it coat and cause malfunction to the pump and Tunze sensor? I’m thinking about not using calc since I dose automatically anyway. Or could I dose a highly potent solution of calc separate from my ATO? Anyone doing that? That would allow me to input in a different chamber away from thpump and sensors.

Why cant you input to a different chamber now?

OP
OP
oysterjake

oysterjake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I do put it in a chamber other than the same as the Tunze sensor the sensor doesn’t seem to catch on fast enough. Maybe that was before I rinsed the sensor off with vinegar though. I could test that pretty quickly. Thanks.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 49 41.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back