Purple tang advice

Buford25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to add a purple tang to my mixed reef. Has anyone had success with these in the past? I've had sailfin tangs in the past and loved them. From my understanding the purple tangs are similar. I will not own blue hippos for the ich concern. Are purples prone to any types of diseases? The tank currently has 2 Picasso clowns. Any advice tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get a healthy one it should do well. Be SURE to QT, as with all tangs, they are prone to stress induced diseases.

OP
OP
Buford25

Buford25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get a healthy one it should do well. Be SURE to QT, as with all tangs, they are prone to stress induced diseases.

Thanks for the tips! I am always hesitant to purchase any new fish when a tank is already doing well.

Tyreef2016

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had one for about 6 months now. similar to the Yellow tang. Just be sure to start with a healthy one like salty said. They can get stressed pretty easily just like any other tang.

technojunky101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is everyone talking about hippos like they are plague ich is problem with all fish feed them well keep tank parameters stable and you will have no issue I've had my issues with ich but really all fish get ich getting them to live threw it without qt or affecting other fish is key.

OP
OP
Buford25

Buford25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not saying they are the plague. I have kept many tangs, just have not had very good luck with hippos. Just my opinion.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is everyone talking about hippos like they are plague ich is problem with all fish feed them well keep tank parameters stable and you will have no issue I've had my issues with ich but really all fish get ich getting them to live threw it without qt or affecting other fish is key.
The first line of defense from any parasites or disease for fish is their protective slime coat. Some species have a thicker slime coat than others, making them more resistant. Hippo tangs have a very thin slime coat, so they are more susceptible to parasites, such as ich.

Minimizing stress, providing a varied diet, peaceful tankmates, and stable parameters can certainly help, and in some cases is enough to manage ich, but it doesn't completely eliminate the risk. If there is a falter with this hippo tangs are more likely to be susceptible.

OP
OP
Buford25

Buford25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first line of defense from any parasites or disease for fish is their protective slime coat. Some species have a thicker slime coat than others, making them more resistant. Hippo tangs have a very thin slime coat, so they are more susceptible to parasites, such as ich.

Minimizing stress, providing a varied diet, peaceful tankmates, and stable parameters can certainly help, and in some cases is enough to manage ich, but it doesn't completely eliminate the risk. If there is a falter with this hippo tangs are more likely to be susceptible.
Very well put.

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purple tangs are truly beautiful but IMO they behave much different than a sailfin tang. I have both and the purple is a lot more aggressive and doesn't play well with any new additions. If you plan on adding a purple you may add him on the back end of your fish stocking. Also, what size tank do you have?

OP
OP
Buford25

Buford25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90 gallon. However if this is on the small side I would avoid entirely.

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the purple will be the only tang in the tank I think a 90 will be fine, especially if you get a smaller specimen.

OP
OP
Buford25

Buford25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He will be the only tang. I honestly do not want too many fish anyways. I have the two clowns now and the tang, if purple, would be one of the last.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90 gallon. However if this is on the small side I would avoid entirely.

Personally, I would pass on a purple in a 90.
Had one about 10 years ago in a 75 (( same foot print as a 90 )), and it was great for the first 6 months or so. However, as the tang grew, so did its attitude (( IMO, it was cramped )), to the point where it was drawing blood on my male Clarkii.

Justin D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my purple in a 350 gallon i would not put one in a 90 gallon sorry for the bed news

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not true for about half of them, they'll succumb before building a resistance.

If you get velvet (VERY common these days) all bets are off

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it seems you're doing "ich management", you're best bet is to buy a purple tang from another hobbyist. Chances are it's already got a strong resistance and you risk killing a $200 fish less this way.

Just my .02

wowkingjames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my purple tang for over 20 years and never had a disease problem with him the only problem is I never could put another tang with him.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 34.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 31.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back