Purple tang advice

mdlc805

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fyi liveaquaria has them on sale for $125 right now plus free shipping and 20% off with purchase over $145

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are beautiful for sure, but I felt their adult size was too big for my 135g....That's just me...That being said, I would drop an extra $75 and get the one on Divers Den that has been fully QT'd. (again that's just me as I have no QT tank)...(yet).

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are beautiful for sure, but I felt their adult size was too big for my 135g....That's just me...That being said, I would drop an extra $75 and get the one on Divers Den that has been fully QT'd. (again that's just me as I have no QT tank)...(yet).
Important to note for the casual reader; divers den does not properly quarantine fish. It's certainly a fantastic source of fish but I've gotten velvet from them like every other source.

OP
OP
Buford25

Buford25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a posting here on R2R for them. I believe it was NYaquatics. Has anyone bought from them before?

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Important to note for the casual reader; divers den does not properly quarantine fish. It's certainly a fantastic source of fish but I've gotten velvet from them like every other source.

WOW...that is surprising to me since their write-up detailing their procedure seems to be spot on and what you would hope for when buying something that is claimed to be "fully QT'd"! My Whitetail BT and Yellow T are both from there....and nothing but good luck. I guess I will consider myself lucky!!!

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW...that is surprising to me since their write-up detailing their procedure seems to be spot on and what you would hope for when buying something that is claimed to be "fully QT'd"! My Whitetail BT and Yellow T are both from there....and nothing but good luck. I guess I will consider myself lucky!!!

They don't watch them long enough or treat them long enough to be even close to 100% sure. Definitely a great vendor though don't get me wrong your odds are definitely less with getting parasites but still very high.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a posting here on R2R for them. I believe it was NYaquatics. Has anyone bought from them before?
NyAquatics is my preferred vendor.

filbie70

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to add a purple tang to my mixed reef. Has anyone had success with these in the past? I've had sailfin tangs in the past and loved them. From my understanding the purple tangs are similar. I will not own blue hippos for the ich concern. Are purples prone to any types of diseases? The tank currently has 2 Picasso clowns. Any advice tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
I would add a cleaner goby or cleaner shrimp to the list. I have a sailfin, purple, and hippo tang in my mixed reef. Other than the purple runs the show. All is good.

OP
OP
Buford25

Buford25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have mentioned I have a cleaner shrimp in the tank as well already.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purples are nice (though not really purple). Lower on the tang spectrum for skin parasites, but the most aggressive zebrasoma - though individual temperament does vary. I have one in my 265, along with five other tangs of various species. Aggressive towards the other zebras, but leaves everything else alone.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back