Purple tang and blue throat trigger compatibility

Jonas Bergkvist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about adding two last fishes to my system, and i was wondering if one Purple Tang (Zebrasoma xanthurum) and a Blue throat trigger (Xanthichthys auromarginatus) would do well together? Would a 150 gallon be big enough for both of them?

I already keep these pets:

1 X Firefish.
1 X Coris wrasse.
1 X Coral beauty.
1 X Timor wrasse.
1 X Longnose hawkfish.
1 X Foxface.
2 X Ocellaris

Plus a couple of shrimps and snails.

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about adding two last fishes to my system, and i was wondering if one Purple Tang (Zebrasoma xanthurum) and a Blue throat trigger (Xanthichthys auromarginatus) would do well together? Would a 150 gallon be big enough for both of them?

1 X Firefish.
1 X Coris wrasse.
1 X Coral beauty.
1 X Timor wrasse.
1 X Longnose hawkfish.
1 X Foxface.
2 X Ocellaris

I think it would be okay especially if the tang and trigger go in last together. Keep in mind there is a chance the trigger can eat your shrimp and snails as well as go after small fish, I have kept a blue throat with small fish and shrimp, never had a problem but each fish is different. Don't think there will be aggression between the purple and trigger either.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1 X Firefish.
1 X Coris wrasse.
1 X Coral beauty.
1 X Timor wrasse.
1 X Longnose hawkfish.
1 X Foxface.
2 X Ocellaris

I think it would be okay especially if the tang and trigger go in last together. Keep in mind there is a chance the trigger can eat your shrimp and snails as well as go after small fish, I have kept a blue throat with small fish and shrimp, never had a problem but each fish is different. Don't think there will be aggression between the purple and trigger either.

Agree if you add them both SAME time you should be fine.

jeromebones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1 X Firefish.
1 X Coris wrasse.
1 X Coral beauty.
1 X Timor wrasse.
1 X Longnose hawkfish.
1 X Foxface.
2 X Ocellaris

My pair of blue throats gets along with everything

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back