Purple Tang eating the wrong kind of food!!!

SPIREEFER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i got some acan colonies and some frags in my display tank, have been noticing the frags turn up scattered all over the rack every morning and sometimes even several times during the day. Well i sat far away from the tank and observed the purple tang nipping at them and overturning the frags, the acans have no damage but i don't want it to get to the point when they do get damaged, i did observe closer and he nips at the polyp not at algae on the plug etc.... Has anyone had any experience like this before with "Reef Safe" tangs? Ive had him for over 2 years and this is the first time I've seen him act like this he eats mysis and algae sheets.

kennedpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your temp? How much do you feed? They might just be hungry and looking for algae. The higher the temp the more they need to eat.

kennedpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow tang eat algae all day and also meaty foods and nori. Without algae growth mine would probably do the same. Haven't had an issue like this though.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While nearly entirely reefsafe I have found just about all grazers have the potential to nip corals.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I add a frag, after dipping I leave any algae growing on the frag and my yellow and purple tang start to feast on it before it's even out of my hand.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 154 73.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.8%
Back