0   0   0
You can assume that to be true.

luxauterna

A softy who loves softies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting this project today! With this...
ResizedImage_1392841174552.jpg

Swine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I liked the parts that involved drinking the most. I'll do part of this project

ScubaShane

MENTAL REEF DISORDER!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a green wine bottle in my planted fresh water tank that I used to have. It looked cool it there but I just dont see me doing that for my reef. I have some PVC pipe under my live rock in there.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up Paul, what did you put on the aluminum can?​
I collected that can in the sea and covered in inside and out with fiberglass resin.

Luxauterna, nice looking bottle, sandpaper the glass until it is all scratched and put a coat of cement on it. Coraline algae grows very fast on cement. I like to break them, but you don't have to.

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've thought of this. Started a thread on something similar. One will see all sorts of things on the ocean bottom. Toilet bowls come to mind; statues maybe. Mostly though, in terms of natural un-natural things, probably more rope, net and plastic than anything else. Would plastic six pack rings be cool? Netting might actually look cool, if done right. Clay amphora would be my favorite. I like this glass bottle idea, and will be breaking some glass tonight I think. Thanks Paul.

xcountryx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two bottles in my 100 gallon covered in coralina. Do you have a write up on how you made the chain? I tried a plastic one I found at a Halloween store but it just wanted to float. But I would realy like to make one my self. I'm trying to go for a sunken reef type tank and any little thing I can throw in there would be great

straydog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea might break the neck off a wine bottle and slide a feather duster in it then cover the broken part with sand. when. the duster is open you wouldn't really see it but when it closed the bottle would be seen .

luxauterna

A softy who loves softies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Paul ! I will be adding more photos to my tank page so as not to hijack your thread. Thanks for the great idea!

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a write up on how you made the chain?

That chain is acrylic, I just heated some acrylic rod and bent it. I do have some real, very old rusted chain that I found in the sea and I coated it with fiberglass resin like you fix dents on cars with. I sometimes use it in my reef but I want to put in a very heavy piece of chain, something that will drape over my reef and look to break some botles and corals as I see this all the time in the sea. I know where to find the chain, I just have to get there with a sawzall as I don't want to lug 1,000lbs of chain home for a 2 foot piece.

roadrashpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul how long do you let the bottles soak before putting them in the tank? Same thing for your algae scrubber. You said you coated screen with cement for the algae to grown on. Do you not have to let that cure some before using it?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is such a small amount of cement on those bottles that I just soaked them for a few days, the same with my algae scrubber.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back