OP
OP
N

Noridin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK continuing along the same subject lines. . . How does one go about using these pvc glue containers several times? Each time I use them the cap ends up glued shut! Sometimes I can get it open up with pliers but most often not and having to open a brand new one instead and wasting the old one

I store mine upside down on their lids. I've always been able to reopen them. Sometimes it does take channel locks but I feel like it helps.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, for starters be very careful when you use the cement so you don't get it on the threads. Wiping off the threads before closing the can will help, too. If the cap is already stuck, I've used a channel lock pliers or a strap wrench before. (strap wrenches do a better job of providing even pressure around the lid so you don't mangle it like you do with pliers.) I also saw this device at Lowe's today.

If you have a can that's really stuck, you could try to get a can of the clear primer/cleaner and drip some of the solvent on the threads of the cap. Solvent cement is simply a mix of solvents that dissolve PVC combined with some PVC solids. When it dries, the solids are left behind and can glue the cap shut. The cleaner/primer is just the same solvents sans the solids, so if you can get it to wick into the threads it should soften the hardened PVC

I saw that Oatey fusion stuff today. I didn't look closely, but I'm curious as to what the difference is. Primer is simply solvent without the solids that softens the surface allows a 'deeper' bond when the cement is applied. As I mentioned above, the only difference between the cement and the primer is the presence of the solids, so I'm not sure what Oatey did differently.

In any case, for most of our uses, priming is not really necessary, so I decided to save $5 and get the plain cement :)

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use channel locks to open and close them. They do dry out after awhile. When in doubt I just get new solvents.

Lifer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, for starters be very careful when you use the cement so you don't get it on the threads. Wiping off the threads before closing the can will help, too. If the cap is already stuck, I've used a channel lock pliers or a strap wrench before. (strap wrenches do a better job of providing even pressure around the lid so you don't mangle it like you do with pliers.) I also saw this device at Lowe's today.

If you have a can that's really stuck, you could try to get a can of the clear primer/cleaner and drip some of the solvent on the threads of the cap. Solvent cement is simply a mix of solvents that dissolve PVC combined with some PVC solids. When it dries, the solids are left behind and can glue the cap shut. The cleaner/primer is just the same solvents sans the solids, so if you can get it to wick into the threads it should soften the hardened PVC

I saw that Oatey fusion stuff today. I didn't look closely, but I'm curious as to what the difference is. Primer is simply solvent without the solids that softens the surface allows a 'deeper' bond when the cement is applied. As I mentioned above, the only difference between the cement and the primer is the presence of the solids, so I'm not sure what Oatey did differently.

In any case, for most of our uses, priming is not really necessary, so I decided to save $5 and get the plain cement :)
THANK YOU SO MUCH for suggesting that device I found it at Home Depot also and it's much more easier then pliers of even channel locks. It's a MUST HAVE for anyone using pvc solvent!

Haubfather07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK continuing along the same subject lines. . . How does one go about using these pvc glue containers several times? Each time I use them the cap ends up glued shut! Sometimes I can get it open up with pliers but most often not and having to open a brand new one instead and wasting the old one

This is the best trick I've ever found!

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure if it's been mentioned but I use a heatgun to reuse or correct glued PVC, just FYI info.

Happy reefing

Luikan336

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have accidentally dropped pvc cement into my tank fully stocked and it did nothing but harden up on top of the water I just scooped it out with no side effects
Same here bro , it just hardens up . I scooped it up no problem

Smoke-Town

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old thread I know... but was rebuilding one of my drains yesterday so wanted to see what people are saying now.
Surprised at how many say they've fired up a system with the glue still wet with no I'll effects or dropped glue droplets directly into the tank and everything was fine.

So I was wondering about the tanks themselves... for those of you who have not waited the standard 2-24 hours of cure time... how much water volume was the system? I would think quite large to dilute all the chemicals that much... probably not a nano tank. Also in these situations, were you running fresh carbon during the first 24 hours of that startup or glue spill?
Also are we talking about systems with soft corals and damsels or more fragile systems with lots of sps, clams, other delicate invertebrates, and sensitive fish?

My 24 is up around 7pm tonight but still interested to see systems unaffected by what is clearly a group of toxic chemicals

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back