pyramid butterflyfish

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been thinking of getting one for my tank which will eventually be a reef anyone have any issues with them eating your corals? also are they hard to get to start feeding? right now i have a tomato clownfish a coral beauty and a one spot rabbitfish any info you can share would be great thanks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
They are not 109% reef safe but safer than most butterflies. Keep it fed well and less chance of coral nipping

OP
OP
Qasimja

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know most tangs are more susceptible to ich more then other fish anything i need to look out for with these fish are they more susceptible to certain parasites?

Robb1414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is ALWAYS out swimming around...ALWAYS! He even sleeps out in the open.

Robb1414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's with a one-spot fox face, pair of clowns, yellow tang, fairy wrasse, two small file fish, and a female bella angel.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know @ca1ore has them and I think they ate his Xenia but left most other corals alone, but hopefully he can tell you directly

Not a single problem with mine (I have 8, including zoster) other than Xenia - which is a pest anyhow.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know most tangs are more susceptible to ich more then other fish anything i need to look out for with these fish are they more susceptible to certain parasites?

Not ich necessarily, but highly suceptible to shipping-related mouth damage which can quickly progress to fatal infections if you aren’t vigilant.

OP
OP
Qasimja

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not ich necessarily, but highly suceptible to shipping-related mouth damage which can quickly progress to fatal infections if you aren’t vigilant.
Thanks for all the great info now the only issue is i read they dont ship well and im not sure if any of my lfs even carry this fish i will do some looking around and i guess if i need to i will order one online really hoping to find one in a lfs thou

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been thinking of getting one for my tank which will eventually be a reef anyone have any issues with them eating your corals? also are they hard to get to start feeding? right now i have a tomato clownfish a coral beauty and a one spot rabbitfish any info you can share would be great thanks

The concern would be less about corals and whether or not that Tomato Clown is going to go after it. Butterflyfish don't tend to do well when bullied. As for the corals the Pyramid is as reef safe as a butterflyfish gets.

U

User1

View Badges
Not a single problem with mine (I have 8, including zoster) other than Xenia - which is a pest anyhow.

I've read that the Zoster's tend to favor Xenia more than the Pyramid. I don't know if there is any truth to that.

kennytze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a pair in my 180 gal mixed reef tank for about a year now. They have been model citizens and are very active swimmers and almost always together. Very nice addition to my tank.

OP
OP
Qasimja

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The concern would be less about corals and whether or not that Tomato Clown is going to go after it. Butterflyfish don't tend to do well when bullied. As for the corals the Pyramid is as reef safe as a butterflyfish gets.
thats something i guess i will have to keep an eye on she didn't bother the one spot they all get along now and swim together the only aggression shes shown is when i tried to add a second tomato that didnt end well i ended up taking it back to the lfs

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch for bacterial infection. It’s a common butterfly issue. How big is your tank, I didn’t see it mentioned. They do get a nice size and swim a lot out in the open. They are an enjoyable and attractive fish to keep.
Jim

OP
OP
Qasimja

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch for bacterial infection. It’s a common butterfly issue. How big is your tank, I didn’t see it mentioned. They do get a nice size and swim a lot out in the open. They are an enjoyable and attractive fish to keep.
Jim
150g 72x18x28

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a trio, well, two pyramids and a black zoster, which is related. Reef safe, no issues with nipping anything. Very docile, but very aggressive eaters.

Robb1414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a trio, well, two pyramids and a black zoster, which is related. Reef safe, no issues with nipping anything. Very docile, but very aggressive eaters.
Mine does love to eat - lol!

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 75 41.0%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 92 50.3%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.3%
Back