QT Cycling Issue

Arcticfirefighter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everybody! I am having issues cycling my QT and am about to bang my head on a wall. I have a bare bones 10g QT with only some PVC, HOB filter, heater, Biomax, and a powerhead. It has been cycling for 4 weeks and seems to have completely stalled on the Nitrites which are off the chart. The ammonia phase went quickly at about 5 days, after that the Nitrites have been off the chart. I also used SeaChem Aquavitro Seed for the first 7 days. 3 days ago I did a 90% water change and they were still off the chart, yesterday I dosed Prime at 5X the recommended dose and they are still off the chart today. Still have zero ammonia, very little Nitrate, PH at 8, 78 degrees. Question is, do I do a 100% WC and start all over? Test kit was verified on my DT, and it read zero Nitrite.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this qt for inverts? If so, you need to have some sore of live rock or such to get a good bacterial population. Without somewhere to populate, they will never survive.

If this is a fish only, I never cycle my qts. Not necessary.

OP
OP
Arcticfirefighter

Arcticfirefighter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this qt for inverts? If so, you need to have some sore of live rock or such to get a good bacterial population. Without somewhere to populate, they will never survive.

If this is a fish only, I never cycle my qts. Not necessary.
It's just for fish, I have 1 large bag of Biomax and 2 small bags in there along with the filter in the HOB. If I dont cycle it, I would have to do 50% WC everyother day right? Along with dosing Prime?

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not necessarily. Sorry, I am not familiar with Biomax. I am a bit old school. :) No new fangled stuff for me. I just do what works for me.

I have what I do for QT in another thread. Basically, I have a 20g set up with pvc, ammonia badge, HOB filter, heater if needed. The filter holds only sponge first. After the proper acclimation of fish (depends on how receive them and what their water is). I get them in and let them be for 24 hours. I check on them regularly, but usually do not have to interfere.
I do black out the tank (paper around it to block light). No lights on my qt either. Ambient light only after a few days.

If something comes up on the fish, I react accordingly. Sometimes that is going hypo, sometimes formalin, sometimes antibiotics, etc. Keep a airpump and stone on hand in case you medicate.

As far as changing water, it depends on if you are treating them, what the badge is reading, how the fish are acting, etc. I have never done a 50% wc on qt without major reason to do so.

Also, I have rarely lost fish in qt. After qt is a whole other problem. Aggressive fish mostly.

OP
OP
Arcticfirefighter

Arcticfirefighter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not necessarily. Sorry, I am not familiar with Biomax. I am a bit old school. :) No new fangled stuff for me. I just do what works for me.

I have what I do for QT in another thread. Basically, I have a 20g set up with pvc, ammonia badge, HOB filter, heater if needed. The filter holds only sponge first. After the proper acclimation of fish (depends on how receive them and what their water is). I get them in and let them be for 24 hours. I check on them regularly, but usually do not have to interfere.
I do black out the tank (paper around it to block light). No lights on my qt either. Ambient light only after a few days.

If something comes up on the fish, I react accordingly. Sometimes that is going hypo, sometimes formalin, sometimes antibiotics, etc. Keep a airpump and stone on hand in case you medicate.

As far as changing water, it depends on if you are treating them, what the badge is reading, how the fish are acting, etc. I have never done a 50% wc on qt without major reason to do so.

Also, I have rarely lost fish in qt. After qt is a whole other problem. Aggressive fish mostly.
Biomax is just a ceramic media, gives the bacteria somewhere to live in addition to the filter. I will have to do the blackout as well, I was going to leave the lights off to keep their stress down. Thanks for the info!
1535328106677.jpeg

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never knew the name. Go figure. After over 15 yrs. Just called them rings or biofilter stuff. ;Bucktooth They are not as good as good reef rock at holding bacteria. Sometimes I keep bioballs in my sump and throw some in the hob if I feel needed for the ammonia.

DBUK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is a thread by DREW12 i think about QT tanks set ups. on here. i myself just set up my QT tank for inverts. i got BB and heater and Boyu foam sponge internfinal filter. and 24 hours before i dosed with instant ocean Bio spira. i did put the sponge in my Refug for two weeks also. but my DT is still finishing off the cycle. and all levels in my QT are good. been going for two weeks now.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 92 41.8%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 110 50.0%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.2%
Back