QT first fish or no?

Reefrookie733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
200G Tank is cycled, getting my first shipment of fish/clean up crew tomorrow. I have a 28 gallon biocube tank that has a couple of fish and some anenomes in it. Should i use that tank to QT the fish before they go into my bigger tank or will they be fine just to acclimate and put them right into the new tank?

Thanks

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m always of the mind that you should QT, You don’t any to introduce pests to your DT especially one of your size think about the clean up. It personally think it’s a safer practice and it’ll help you keep the fish in the long run.

Congrats in the new tank btw! That’s a high jump form the 28g

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re going to QT at all, then you should start with the first fish. I’m of the all or nothing mindset. Both are valid approaches depending on your mindset and risk tolerance but doing half measures is a waste of time as they won’t be effective.

OP
OP
Reefrookie733

Reefrookie733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m always of the mind that you should QT, You don’t any to introduce pests to your DT especially one of your size think about the clean up. It personally think it’s a safer practice and it’ll help you keep the fish in the long run.

Congrats in the new tank btw! That’s a high jump form the 28g
So do you guys thinks its ok to put the new fish and clean up crew in the 28G with the other fish? is that really a quarentine tank? Or should i setup my other 28G (i have an extra one) and put just those new fish in there by themselves?

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's silly but I'd trust your CuC, just spot check them and add to the DT (no water though). Fingers crossed I haven't encountered any issues when adding them directly to the tank over the past three or so years. For the fish I'm sure there are quite a few opinions on this, in my QT tank it's relatively empty, I have a few frag racks, a nem in a basket that I didn't want to move and some PVC hiding spots. I do this in case any number of pest takes over or if you treat with copper and so on... it makes for easier clean up.

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the extra tank I would set it up and run separate qt. If during your observation period you find something then you can treat it, if they are in with coral and anemone you won’t be able to.

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do you guys thinks its ok to put the new fish and clean up crew in the 28G with the other fish? is that really a quarentine tank? Or should i setup my other 28G (i have an extra one) and put just those new fish in there by themselves?
Definitely set the other 28 up and just put fish in. Quarantining the fish is useless if there are inverts and you can’t treat the fish when a disease shows up. I would personally recommend prophylactic treatment of all of your fish for ich. I have watched fish for a while in a qt and then had ich show up after I moved them to the Dt.

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
200G Tank is cycled, getting my first shipment of fish/clean up crew tomorrow. I have a 28 gallon biocube tank that has a couple of fish and some anenomes in it. Should i use that tank to QT the fish before they go into my bigger tank or will they be fine just to acclimate and put them right into the new tank?

Thanks
I have QT every fish that has gone to my DT and for months everything was going fine until a week ago where i introduced ich. My guess is it came in either a coral or cuc that i got a week prior to that. The only way to keep parasites out your DT is to quarantine EVERYTHING that goes into the display. I personally cant go to that extent but even then QT fish is good practice as it lowers the chances of getting the uglies.

Larry101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quarantining is worth it in the long run, even if it takes a bit more time, money, and effort because in the long run it is better to have done everything you could have in preventing any parasites or diseases rather than just playing the game where the more fish you add to the DT without quarantining, the higher the risk all of your fish could be wiped out by something like velvet. As BRS always says: An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT is the best way, not the easiest When you get ich, and have to setup a QT, let the DT sit fallow for 40+ days, which ever method you follow, you will wish that you had QTed.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 93 41.7%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 112 50.2%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.1%
Back