QT fish not eating

Yamaha1634

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added 4 fish to a QT at 6pm on Monday evening, as of 8am this morning (Thursday) all fish appear healthy and look good and active but one Pajama Cardinal appears to not be eating yet.

Tank is a fluval sea evo 52l, bare tank with seeded media in the filter compartment and a handful of PVC pipe and fittings in the bottom.

Fish added were 1x ocelaris clown, 2x pajama cardinals and 1x tailspot blenny.

The clown and the blenny are absolute beasts when it comes to food and eat anything I add, I've fed frozen brine shrimp and marine pellets so far and they will eat both happily.

Of the two PJ Cardinals it looks like I have one male and one female. both appear fairly subdued but I have another PJ Cardinal in my DT and he is fairly shy also. the female in the QT eats happily but the male is yet to show an interest. He looks healthy, no marks or heavy breathing etc,

Still early days yet and others have reported several days before they start eating after being moved but just wanted some opinions.

I'm not medicating in my QT so far and am doing observation only but I do have Prazi in the form of API General Cure available. Is it time to start treating for parasites or should I wait a little longer? No signs of illness so its possible he's eating when I'm not looking.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added 4 fish to a QT at 6pm on Monday evening, as of 8am this morning (Thursday) all fish appear healthy and look good and active but one Pajama Cardinal appears to not be eating yet.

Tank is a fluval sea evo 52l, bare tank with seeded media in the filter compartment and a handful of PVC pipe and fittings in the bottom.

Fish added were 1x ocelaris clown, 2x pajama cardinals and 1x tailspot blenny.

The clown and the blenny are absolute beasts when it comes to food and eat anything I add, I've fed frozen brine shrimp and marine pellets so far and they will eat both happily.

Of the two PJ Cardinals it looks like I have one male and one female. both appear fairly subdued but I have another PJ Cardinal in my DT and he is fairly shy also. the female in the QT eats happily but the male is yet to show an interest. He looks healthy, no marks or heavy breathing etc,

Still early days yet and others have reported several days before they start eating after being moved but just wanted some opinions.

I'm not medicating in my QT so far and am doing observation only but I do have Prazi in the form of API General Cure available. Is it time to start treating for parasites or should I wait a little longer? No signs of illness so its possible he's eating when I'm not looking.

You could try frozen mysids to see if a change up helps.

No ammonia registering on your test kit?
I generally begin copper or hyposalinity first, and then prazi, as protozoan diseases crop of faster than flukes do.

If you don't know the history of this fish (i.e., was it feeding at the store?) then it could just have an issue particular to that fish - collection damage, etc.

Jay

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 21.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 149 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.9%
Back