QT for Inverts?

Macimage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 180 gallon tank has been fallow for approximately 18 months. I have five fish coming that are going into separate quarantine tanks.
I also have cleaner shrimp, snails, porcelain crabs and conchs arriving. Is it safe to put them directly into the 180 gallon tank?
I will not be moving the fish into the 180 gallon tank for 30 to 45 days.

jgabbsxx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 180 gallon tank has been fallow for approximately 18 months. I have five fish coming that are going into separate quarantine tanks.
I also have cleaner shrimp, snails, porcelain crabs and conchs arriving. Is it safe to put them directly into the 180 gallon tank?
I personally have never QT or acclimated any of my inverts when purchased. My LFS tells me it is not needed and has been working for me ever since I started the tank.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That will likely be safe, especially if you stretch it to 45 days.

The big unknown is the status of the tank(s) that the invertebrates came from. If they were housed in fishless systems before you get them, they will be even safer. On the other hand, if they came from a tank that had an active ich infection, 45 days may not be be long enough and 60 days would be safer.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back