QT parameters issue

DylanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a 20g qt set up that currently has a 2-1/2 inch CBB in it, qt day 3. I set the tank up a week ago with a 3 lb piece of cured live rock, HOB filter, Dr Tim’s bacteria, and power head. I’ve done 25% water changes daily, but still have .25 ppm ammonia showing up on my API test. However, zero nitrites. If I had proper bacterial filtering, shouldn’t I have nitrite too at this point? Other than coinuing aggressive water changes, what should I be doing differently?

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API is notorious for giving a false .25 ammonia reading. I would get a different test kit. Alternatively, get a Seachem alert badge. I know a lot of people don't trust them but I've never had an issue. In a QT tank it's good to be able to do a frequent visual check - you're much less likely to get lazy and skip testing if all you have to do is glance at the badge.

OP
OP
DylanE

DylanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API is notorious for giving a false .25 ammonia reading. I would get a different test kit. Alternatively, get a Seachem alert badge. I know a lot of people don't trust them but I've never had an issue. In a QT tank it's good to be able to do a frequent visual check - you're much less likely to get lazy and skip testing if all you have to do is glance at the badge.

Thanks, good to know. I have a badge on the way, I’ll see what it says. Little dude is eating and not showing stress, so maybe it’s a false point of sale.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back