QT size question

jpontier212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I presently have a regular 10 gallon qt setup. I recently went to my lfs and the people there have gotten very comfortable with me and my family coming in and asking 80000 questions. Especially my son Sebastian. He's 6 and future marine biologist. Lol but in all due seriousness, i was told that a10 gallon qt is not really the most optimal qt situation since the enclosed space may stress fishes out to no end and cause them more likely to fail in the qt. I was told by my good pal that a 20 long should be suffice for the month qt period to either bring out whatever ailment/sickness symptoms or claustrophobic anxiety that may result in a sickness. What say you?

willthethrill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the space for it so I got a 20g for fish and a 10g for the coral. Can't beat those petco dollar per gallon sales. This way the coral is kept separate from any treatments going into the fish QT. I think a 10 is too small for any larger size fish like tangs and stuff. As far as how many fish can go in id say it's all about good judgement. I've usually have 2 in there at a time with a few big pvc joints for hiding. Those ammonia badges are very helpful.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think there's any circumstance where the fish should be kept in a tank smaller than what's recommended for the fish you're putting in it – QT or otherwise.

So more than likely your QT should be around the same size as your display.* In other words, if you are getting "75 gallons worth" of fish, then you QT needs to hold 75 gallons worth of fish. If you're getting one full sized Tang that needs to be quarantined, then he needs to go in a tank big enough to hold an adult Tang. Makes sense...there's really no figuring to it. :)

It's important to remember that the typical QT tank (stark and barren) is stressful to fish in and of itself, as are any medications you choose to use while the fish are in there. Couple these stresses with the stress of being a new fish and you can easily make an otherwise healthy/recovering fish into a disease problem. It happens all the time.

BTW, check out this article if you haven't had a chance yet:
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/how-behaviorally-complex-are-marine-fish.15/

* You can disregard this rule of thumb if you have a really big tank.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I presently have a regular 10 gallon qt setup. I recently went to my lfs and the people there have gotten very comfortable with me and my family coming in and asking 80000 questions. Especially my son Sebastian. He's 6 and future marine biologist. Lol but in all due seriousness, i was told that a10 gallon qt is not really the most optimal qt situation since the enclosed space may stress fishes out to no end and cause them more likely to fail in the qt. I was told by my good pal that a 20 long should be suffice for the month qt period to either bring out whatever ailment/sickness symptoms or claustrophobic anxiety that may result in a sickness. What say you?

It depends on the amount and size of the fish that will be in it. I have a pair of 10 gallons for TTM and a 40 breeder for situations that involve large fish or a large number of fish. A 20 long would probably be fine for most small fish if done a couple at a time.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I certainly wouldn't mess with anything less than a 29.....may as well be a 40B since they seem to go on sale quite a bit. Of course bigger is better in this area...but anything around this size (30-40g) would be my preferred minimum.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 30 and think it's a good size plus u kinda want to stress them out a lil to get the disease to rear its head before it goes into ur display tank. As for having a 75 display and a 75 qt I would have to disagree that's crazy the reason to have a qt is so u can watch and easily get to the fish if need be. U every try to get a fish out of a tank who wants to stay in there it's a pain. I would say 20 or 30 gallon would be fine it just depends how much room u have. I was contimplating a 55 but that's just to big for a qt. but I agree with u a ten is to small.
I hope u bounce back strong from ur last problems of Brooke and I'm glad ur learning from it
Justin

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people use 5 gallon buckets when they do the tank transfer method. I use a 29 gallon. I have quarantined 3 tangs in it with no problems but not all at once and they were juveniles. But I did each tang with a some other fish. A 20 gallon would be a good choice.

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Size of Q/T needs to be the same as display, that's crazy. I seriously hope,.....that you do 't mean that if I have a 125g (+) that the Q/T needs to be the same ? I assume,....you mean differently.

OP
OP
jpontier212

jpontier212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys i just found a 36x12x16 tank at a buddy house that was used for a pair of bearded dragons. I just got it for $20. I believe it's 30 gallons and super thick glass so it's not a terranium. It's has a few chips on the corners but i don't think it will leak. I just sprayed bleach and vinegar all in it and I'm going to clean it up but i think i might have found the perfect size QT.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for having a 75 display and a 75 qt
Size of Q/T needs to be the same as display

I can't find anyone this in the thread saying this but you guys - at least you agree with each other! :D Maybe post #5 needs a closer read? ;)

I just sprayed bleach and vinegar

Gah! The that's formula for something like mustard gas! Get some fresh air into the space where you're working and stop mixing the two.

FOLKS, DO NOT MIX BLEACH WITH ANY OTHER ORGANIC SUBSTANCE!
http://chemistry.about.com/od/toxicchemicals/a/Mixing-Bleach-And-Vinegar.htm

but i think i might have found the perfect size QT.

Sweet! :)

Vinegar all by itself followed by a dry spell is a perfect cleaner + disinfectant for your new tank! :)

Last edited:

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If u read mine I said that that would be crazy cause someone said that's how u should qt.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoops ur right I misread or u changed it one or the other no big deal

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do know where you're coming from. We were joking that my QT was too comfy because a fish managed to sail right through the QT process without any visible signs of Ich. It wasn't until some time later that Ich reared it's head in the display tank due to a stressful vibration. If it had of went through a more stressful QT period, would the Ich have made itself known before entering the display? Maybe...

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do know where you're coming from. We were joking that my QT was too comfy because a fish managed to sail right through the QT process without any visible signs of Ich. It wasn't until some time later that Ich reared it's head in the display tank due to a stressful vibration. If it had of went through a more stressful QT period, would the Ich have made itself known before entering the display? Maybe...
@mcarroll that's what I meant I didnt mean throw fire crackers in the tank every day and sit and go fishing in it. But make the fish a little uncomfortable and the diseases will show its true colors.

OP
OP
jpontier212

jpontier212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mcarroll that's what I meant I didnt mean throw fire crackers in the tank every day and sit and go fishing in it. But make the fish a little uncomfortable and the diseases will show its true colors.
So.... for instance, If you get a fish from the lfs and it gets qtd from the moment it hits your house and it gets ich let's say, you treat it in the qt and after its healed and healthy you put it in the DP it shouldn't get ich again? Or is it less likely to get it again or how does that work?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 163 72.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.9%
Back