Qt tank newb question

ReeFarina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I am a newbie and just got in to the hobby about 2.5 months ago. I have read a lot of good info on the forums here but this is my first post. So, I set up a qt for the first 2 fish that I bought, turns out that both of the fish were diseased so I went with what my lfs suggested and did a dip and then treated with amoxicillin. Both fish didn’t make it so now I want to know if it is best to just tear down the qt and clean? I feel that it would be best just to start over and have the tank free of any junk. Thoughts?

Thanks

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
giphy (1) (1).gif
#WelcometoR2R
were you able to determine what the illness was that wiped them out? Probably don't need to restart your tank, as you're going to want to run treatment for disease anyway.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReeFarina

ReeFarina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
giphy (1) (1).gif

were you able to determine what the illness was that wiped them out? Probably don't need to restart your tank, as you're going to want to run treatment for disease anyway.

Thank you!

No I never did find out... it was a pair of clowns and when I got them home and in the tank after acclimating I notice one of them kept their mouth open slightly. Next day it was worse with a red bump after that I dipped and then it got the mouth fuzz. Did a dip and started treating right after that the other one kept it’s mouth open and the same process occurred. They wouldn’t eat and both didn’t make it after the treatment.
IMG_0289.JPG

OP
OP
ReeFarina

ReeFarina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!

No I never did find out... it was a pair of clowns and when I got them home and in the tank after acclimating I notice one of them kept their mouth open slightly. Next day it was worse with a red bump after that I dipped and then it got the mouth fuzz. Did a dip and started treating right after that the other one kept it’s mouth open and the same process occurred. They wouldn’t eat and both didn’t make it after the treatment.
IMG_0289.JPG

Sorry I mentioned the dip too many times. Only one dip.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!

IMG_0289.JPG
Is this picture in your quarantine tank? How did you cycle this tank before adding in the fish? Generally you want a qt tank as bare as possible.

OP
OP
ReeFarina

ReeFarina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I am a newbie and just got in to the hobby about 2.5 months ago. I have read a lot of good info on the forums here but this is my first post. So, I set up a qt for the first 2 fish that I bought, turns out that both of the fish were diseased so I went with what my lfs suggested and did a dip and then treated with amoxicillin. Both fish didn’t make it so now I want to know if it is best to just tear down the qt and clean? I feel that it would be best just to start over and have the tank free of any junk. Thoughts?

Thanks

Forgot to list what I have in the tank, I had a sponge filter and an extra air stone running. And I treated with erythromycin not amoxicillin.

Thanks

OP
OP
ReeFarina

ReeFarina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this picture in your quarantine tank? How did you cycle this tank before adding in the fish? Generally you want a qt tank as bare as possible.

Sorry, I’m a newb like I said so I did do the major no no and put the clowns in my main tank at first and then immediately set up a qt after noticing the mouth issue. I cycled for about 40 days using live rock, live sand, putting a pinch of food here and there and I was using microbacter. Monitored the cycle before introducing fish.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 164 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back