-----quarantine display tank-----

dh350twin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 300 gallon full reef set up. I love all types of corals as well as all types of fish. Recently I added a fish that brought something into my main display that has pretty much wiped out all my fish. I should have known better! I love my reef and want to keep NO fish in there for the 10 weeks needed to rid the tank of any parasites.
So I will need a tank to quarantine the fish I have and the fish I want to replace and I thought I would build a FOWLR TANK in my office with a bare bottom and some nice scraping with BRS reefsaver rock with a sump, skimmer, controller, etc running one or two KESSIL's for the shimmer and light for the fish. The goal would be to quarantine the fish in a hypo salinity environment and then move them back to the main display and then stocking the quarantine tank with some nice angels that I could never put in my full mixed reef tank and keep it set up.
My concerns are will running hypo kill any bacteria i add? If I need to medicate for some extreme reason would the rock and tank ever be able to be used fora reef tank if down the road I want to convert it to maybe a softie tank or whatever.
I hope I have explained this correctly and any advice,tips, criticism, etc is welcomed.
Thanks for taking the time. DH.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If I understand your idea correctly, you are thinking about setting up a FOWLR that will double as a QT (or vice versa...depending on how you look at it), and that idea includes running this tank at hyposalinity and keeping angels in it (that would stay in there permanently). My biggest fear is less about what will happen to your BB and more about the fish you are planning to keep as permanent inhabitants. The problem with having permanent inhabitants in your QT is that any fish that you bring in for observation may also bring in a disease or parasite that will infect your permanent inhabitants (since those guys won't ever be leaving QT and will be immediately exposed). I'm also concerned about you having them in hypo repeatedly for extended time periods.

I would suggest you keep a FOWLR (where you can have your angels), and keep your QT separately. My other thought would be to run a QT where you bring your reef fish through in sets....leave one (or several) in your QT until you bring in the next (and at that time, move fish #1 to the DT). Once you're done adding fish to your reef, THEN convert your QT to a FOWLR for your angels.

Maybe I didn't read your post right, so please correct me if I've got your idea wrong.

OP
OP
dh350twin

dh350twin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I understand your idea correctly, you are thinking about setting up a FOWLR that will double as a QT (or vice versa...depending on how you look at it), and that idea includes running this tank at hyposalinity and keeping angels in it (that would stay in there permanently). My biggest fear is less about what will happen to your BB and more about the fish you are planning to keep as permanent inhabitants. The problem with having permanent inhabitants in your QT is that any fish that you bring in for observation may also bring in a disease or parasite that will infect your permanent inhabitants (since those guys won't ever be leaving QT and will be immediately exposed). I'm also concerned about you having them in hypo repeatedly for extended time periods.

I would suggest you keep a FOWLR (where you can have your angels), and keep your QT separately. My other thought would be to run a QT where you bring your reef fish through in sets....leave one (or several) in your QT until you bring in the next (and at that time, move fish #1 to the DT). Once you're done adding fish to your reef, THEN convert your QT to a FOWLR for your angels.

Maybe I didn't read your post right, so please correct me if I've got your idea wrong.

The only difference is once the reef fish come out and the angels go in I would raise the salinity after quarantining the angels. Hypo would not be permanent.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The only difference is once the reef fish come out and the angels go in I would raise the salinity after quarantining the angels. Hypo would not be permanent.

Sounds like it should work then. I was missing that you'd be adding the angels AFTER the other fish come out. LOL That's what happens when I'm up reading posts after I should be in bed. :p I think you have a good idea going. You should definitely start a build thread for this! :)

OP
OP
dh350twin

dh350twin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like it should work then. I was missing that you'd be adding the angels AFTER the other fish come out. LOL That's what happens when I'm up reading posts after I should be in bed. :p I think you have a good idea going. You should definitely start a build thread for this! :)

Yeah I should be in bed as well.....lol. My only other problem is if I want to add another fish later I would have to set up another qt tank or is it possible to lower the salinity again to qt a new fish in the same tank? There in lies another problem......lol

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 34 27.4%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 61 49.2%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back