quarantine Tank setup

Michael Joye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
I am getting ready to buy my clean up crew for my tank. It has complete the whole long cycling process. I have heard that it is best to quarantine every living thing that goes into the tank. I want to know how you setup the water for the quarantine tank. Do you just use some of you water from you display tank as the water for it, or do you just make new water and let it cycle?

Hyde2406

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set mine up with tank water from a water change and a hang on back filter, but I have an older tank so nutrients aren't high and cuc aren't picky. I don't qt most things but I take crazy risks. I did lose a whole tank years ago because of a stupid turbo snail I picked up had to start all over. I also only buy from certain places and people etc, if I use a new place I qt

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use as much water as you like from DT water changes provided you are convinced you DT is disease free. Just be sure not to syphon right from the bottom.

OP
OP
Michael Joye

Michael Joye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you cycle the quarantine tank? Do you need to cycle the quarantine tank since it does not have rocks or anything?

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should have a sponge filter at a minimum and/or HOB filter. Seed with bacteria in a bottle, e.g., Biospira or place the sponges in a high flow area of your DT sump for at least 30 days.

jlear3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A QT needs some method to remove ammonia. Otherwise you'll have a baaad time. Either coarse sponge from your sump or some LR. A lot of people say just leave a sponge in ur sump u til you need to qt

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back