Quarantine tanks to be acquired first before display tank?

OP
OP
homersimpsonlikesfish

homersimpsonlikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I get beneficial bacteria for a 5 gallon quarantine tank if I can't have any live rock/sand or biological filter media in it? Will bacteria in a bottle work okay?

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I get beneficial bacteria for a 5 gallon quarantine tank if I can't have any live rock/sand or biological filter media in it? Will bacteria in a bottle work okay?

I have no idea where that came from unless you’re medicating it. Even then you can throw in live rock or sand as long as you realize it’s a one way trip.

OP
OP
homersimpsonlikesfish

homersimpsonlikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea where that came from unless you’re medicating it. Even then you can throw in live rock or sand as long as you realize it’s a one way trip.
Well according to the quarantine guidelines, if I am treating the quarantine tank with copper, having live rock/sand and/or filter pads is a no-no.

royaleFork

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacteria in a bottle and monitor the ammonia (daily is best). If it starts creeping up, do a water change to bring it down. Once the tank is established, you can seed filter material in the main tank and use that to help the quarantine tank be pre seeded a bit.

OP
OP
homersimpsonlikesfish

homersimpsonlikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anybody tried if Rid-Ich Plus works well for saltwater FOWLR tanks?

Rid Ich.jpg

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well according to the quarantine guidelines, if I am treating the quarantine tank with copper, having live rock/sand and/or filter pads is a no-no.

I would have to reread but that makes no sense unless you were talking about something like limestone or volcanic. And bottle bacteria is dumb. Worst trend ever. Just gonna say it.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to reread but that makes no sense unless you were talking about something like limestone or volcanic. And bottle bacteria is dumb. Worst trend ever. Just gonna say it.
I think what he is referring to is the rock will always have copper and meds so can't be used in another aquarium.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could use any number of acids to address that, but that’s why I said it’s a one way trip.
I agree, I think it's just he is afraid of making a mistake

OP
OP
homersimpsonlikesfish

homersimpsonlikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I use Rid Ich Plus in the quarantine tank to treat or prevent any Ich in the new fish? And is the quarantine time going to be much shorter instead of the 70 days with copper treatment?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I use Rid Ich Plus in the quarantine tank to treat or prevent any Ich in the new fish? And is the quarantine time going to be much shorter instead of the 70 days with copper treatment?
N.O.

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Rid Ich.jpg
I am pretty sure this is not a product you can rely on otherwise the longer and more complicated quarantine protocols would not still exist and be considered the gold standard.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@homersimpsonlikesfish , you need to understand that you will essentially have a hospital tank. Any medication you add has the potential to be ab/adsorbed by rock, sand, etc. You can use sponge filters either seeded in a mature tank or with bottled bacteria added to establish a bio filter to covert ammonia to nitrate. But even with this filter, the tank may not adequately "cycle", and you will need to closely watch ammonia levels and plan to do frequent water changes to address the inevitable increase. You will need to feed sparingly and remove excess food so it does not decompose. DO NOT plan to treat more than 1-2 fish (1 if it's bigger than 2 inches) at a time in a 5 gallon tank. The reason so many choose to not quarantine (medicate) this way is because it's a fair amount of work. But for many others, the reward is worth it.

Last edited:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Rid Ich.jpg
This stuff is a tonic and rarely works. Coppersafe of at least 2.0-2.25 is most effective. Separation of QT and intended display recommended and observation not recommended as you will see nothing for 10 days as an example then realize there is a disease and wasted 10 days of treatment time.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 20 41.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 19 39.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.2%
Back