Quarantine temp?

Bugeater281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious what people keep their qt tanks temp at? I’d like to start doing the tank transfer method. However I have trying to get heaters to be consistent, especially in smaller amounts of water. I was thinking of using 5g buckets. However, my basement(where my tanks are) is 67-68*. Upstairs is ~72*. While the wife will not want tanks upstairs. I can probably convincer her to let me keep two 5 gallon buckets. Another idea I had was to keep a tubaware container full of freshwater with a heater. And keep the two 5 gallon buckets in that. Thats way they are surrounded by the warm water. And the saltwater pathogens shouldn’t be able to live in it.

Thoughts?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won't be able to run TTM at room temperature, it messes with the timing that is so important. Also remember that if your room is 72 degrees, the water in that space will be a few degrees lower due to the cooling effects of evaporation.

Your tub with buckets set inside is a common technique used by public aquariums, called a "water bath". Usually, this is used to keep water cool, but it works in heating mode as well. There are also tiny heaters that are preset to 78 degrees, used for betta bowls. Heaters with an external thermostat work better in small containers, but they are expensive, and are usually too high in wattage.

Jay

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 88 44.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 68 34.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 28 14.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back