Question about bleaching.

Jmdumbeck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my 26g tank for almost a year now, and yes, shame on me, I have yet to buy new lights. My question is, can corals bleach because of a change in spectrum of lighting? (aka lighting wearing out and not being as effective?) or is it only because of too much light/stress? I've got montipora bleaching out, and all the mushrooms on the bottom of the tank are thriving and doing great. Help? I can post pictures later. All parameters are fine, except slight increase in nitrates, checked them yesterday. I did a nice big healthy water change to help, but is it purely just because of the lights? And what order do I change them in to avoid too much stress?

Surf&turf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually bleaching is from too much light. I would say you have other factor's going on. What are your water param's?

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not say that year old lights would make coral bleach. If anything too much lighting will make them bleach. I have cap that bleached in my tank but it was because it was completely shaded from the light and not receiving any light.

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say yes i notices my colors " Bleech" a little when i didnt change my T5's for 8 months. Now i chance them every 6-7.

OP
OP
Jmdumbeck

Jmdumbeck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium was at 400, Nitrite 0ppm, Ammonia 0ppm, Phosphates 0ppm, Copper 0ppm, pH was actually at 7.8 now that I think about it. Nitrates were 5ppm, and that's when I immediately did a few good water changes (I had been slacking, I admit). So if it's not the lighting, would Nitrates or the pH do this? I guess I'm leaning more toward ph, but I was told lights should never go past 6-8 months.

condor

CORAL DR.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like a temp issue if thr turbos died too , they hate warm water, but if it is thr bulbs i would switch to current bulbs

fizhfly

www.reefexclusive.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium was at 400, Nitrite 0ppm, Ammonia 0ppm, Phosphates 0ppm, Copper 0ppm, pH was actually at 7.8 now that I think about it. Nitrates were 5ppm, and that's when I immediately did a few good water changes (I had been slacking, I admit). So if it's not the lighting, would Nitrates or the pH do this? I guess I'm leaning more toward ph, but I was told lights should never go past 6-8 months.

temp swings and ph (which is related to alk ) will bleach a coral other than a change in light to the brighterside.

OP
OP
Jmdumbeck

Jmdumbeck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always monitored temp well, and it's remained at the same temp it has been for a year. It must be the pH then. Thank you guys so much!

makingbubbles

Broke, Poor, Cheap Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you never dose strontium i suggest you start doing so. Monti's love the stuff like softies like iodine. Just dont over do it. If your skimming and doing water changes you dont need to buy a test kit, just dose half of what the bottle says. If this is the case ( im 80% sure it is if you dont dose). Small temp swings will stress some fish b4 the corals. In about a week and a half you should see color coming back strong.

OP
OP
Jmdumbeck

Jmdumbeck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said before, temp is fine. It's always between 78-80. I check it every morning and night before I go to bed. :(

OP
OP
Jmdumbeck

Jmdumbeck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do, but it's in a mix of supplements I give. And believe me, the monti's were thriving before, and spreading all over.

SSA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your Turbo snails dieing after water changes is usually from ph shock. IME rapid corrections of a low ph value can shock and kill snails.

As corals grow they need more supplementation. If your corals have been growing gangbusters they can strip out the nutrients from the water down to unsafe levels if you don't also increase the rate of supplementation accordingly. Usually bleaching is caused by too much light, too much heat and/or a shortage of iodine in the water. Corals use iodine to synthesize their version of a suntan. Without it they just sunburn.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 55 30.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 47 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 20.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back