Question about bleaching.

makingbubbles

Broke, Poor, Cheap Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was using araga milk which has a few dif elements in it including strontium. my monti continued to grow and grow but eventually started getting lighter. It wasn't till a friend told me to dose strontium. I have alwaysed dosed iodine because of my zoas. In 2 weeks color ame back more vibrant than b4. That my reason for asking if your dosing strontium.

meisen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High alkalinity can also be to blame (goes along with pH shifts). Whats your alk at? Also, freshly mixed saltwater despite being "instant" is not exactly that and I have found that adding any appreciable amount of fresh saltwater is very stressful for corals and other inverts. Could certainly kill turbos and bleach corals anyway. IMO saltwater should be mixed and allowed to sit for at least 6 if not 24 hours before using it. The longer the better basically and if you can bring it up to temp for large water changes as well, thats ideal.

I wouldnt say I have seen a conclusive connection but certainly corals can be stressed (which IME can lead to bleaching) when bulb's shift/reduce output. I wouldnt rule it out anyway but the easy question if you have changed nothing else is how old are your bulbs?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back