Question about Ich Life Cycle Behavior

Rython

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich experts:

When I was researching various diseases and treatments I came across the following statement made by a Seachem rep in a thread on another message board in 2009:

"make sure that all of the parasites that may have remained in your display tank in a dormant cyst form, come out of the substrate (or where ever) and die off before putting your fish back into the tank. To do this, take a cup or two of the water from your QT tank and put it in the display tank. What you are doing is putting fish hormones, basically fish aroma if you will, into the display tank which will make the parasites come out of their dormant stage and swim around to look for a host."

Now, aside from the questionable recommendation to put QT water in the DT, Seachem CS seems to enjoy a reasonably credible reputation among reefers. So I'm wondering about the theory behind this statement. Have ich cysts been observed reacting to fishy water in such a way (transitioning from cyst to swimming)? Or is this just something that sounds plausible but is just someone's wild guess? I haven't been able to find it documented elsewhere.

If true, putting a cup of fishy water from the DT into the coral QT would be a handy tool to reduce the time invertebrates need to spend in QT to ensure no ich moves to the DT as a cyst on a coral (etc.).

Thoughts?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of people (and companies) have "pet theories" regarding ich and other parasites, but no scientific evidence whatsoever to back them up. This seems to be the case with the Seachem rep you ran across.

A good article for understanding ich and it's lifecycle can be found here: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa164

It was written by Dr. Roy Yanong, an associate professor and Extension veterinarian. Throughout the article you'll notice how Dr. Yanong cites peer reviewed studies to back up his information. That's what you're looking for. ;)

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. Seems like a personal theory with nothing substantial behind it. Simply leaving the display fallow would rid the tank of ich after 76 days.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%

Back