Question for those dosing PO4 and/or NO3

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While this may be fitting for the chemistry section, I'm nearly all acro in my tank(s) so felt it relates to SPS/Acros hence this section-could be mistaken.

Simple question, what are you using if you dose for those?

Presently I'm using food grade Potassium Nitrate for NO3 and Tri-Sodium Phosphate for PO4. I have to dose quite a bit (roughly 550 gallon system) so buying premixed solution (Brightwell etc) is not the best option.

Thanks for any posts!

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I replaced liquid po4 additives with reef roids. I get a longer lasting po4 elevation and see a better response from corals (colors, pe, growth).

Last edited:

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swap the potassium nitrate for sodium nitrate, unless you have a way to test potassium or you're going to run into issues. Tri-sodium phosphate is fine.

Just use the potassium versions of each for calculating. The sodium bond is a little stronger, but they're close enough.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While this may be fitting for the chemistry section, I'm nearly all acro in my tank(s) so felt it relates to SPS/Acros hence this section-could be mistaken.

Presently I'm using food grade Potassium Nitrate for NO3 and Tri-Sodium Phosphate for PO4. I have to dose quite a bit (roughly 550 gallon system) so buying premixed solution (Brightwell etc) is not the best option.

Thanks for any posts!
Calcium Nitrate and Sodium Phosphate.

Potassium nitrate adds too much Potassium.

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium Nitrate and Sodium Phosphate.

Potassium nitrate adds too much Potassium.
Be careful sourcing Calcium Nitrate. It's a great additive to dose, but a lot of them contain substantial amounts of ammonia as part of the nitrogen source.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for any posts!
I use stump remover which is potassium nitrate also.. for po4 I use reef roids to keep it elevated and the corals love it!

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful sourcing Calcium Nitrate. It's a great additive to dose, but a lot of them contain substantial amounts of ammonia as part of the nitrogen source.

I know that and the ammonia component is why I chose it :)
When I measured the ammonia content at the concentration I dose it was a very useful amount for the coral.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sodium nitrate and Trisodium Phosphate. Be careful though, there are a LOT or products out there called TSP (for similar cleaning purposes) which contain other stuff, not trisodium phosphate.

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I have been hearing more and more people dosing ammonia based products with a lot of success. Rather than dosing the leftover end products that corals do not have a good mechanism for processing.
Or, the OG... Feed more. This will also help replenish a fair amount of amino acids and trace elements. (Depending on what foods are used).

How it all works is way over my head, but there are some very important figures in the reefing community discussing it here. Beyond the reef podcast /w Mike Poletta
Beyond the reef podcast /w Lou Ekus (Tropic Marin

I hope these were the correct episodes, but I know it was touched on in at least a couple.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a formula for dosing this? I just bought loud-wolfs, and I cant really find anything on it.
This is for ammonium chloride:

13.5g per 1liter rodi for stock solution.
2.3 ml per 26 gallon will raise 0.1 ammonium.

Thread 'DIY Ammonia dosing for low nitrate systems' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/diy-ammonia-dosing-for-low-nitrate-systems.987087/

I found this also

Thread 'Misconceptions of Calcium Nitrate' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/misconceptions-of-calcium-nitrate.850598/

Doesn't seem to have very much ammonium.
When I dosed calcium nitrate, if my memory is correct, to was 10g to 1L.
50ml per 100 gallons to raise 1 ppm nitrate.

Last edited:

Yanir34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for any posts!

I'm dosing Sodium nitrate and tri-sodium phosphate.
IMG-20240201-WA0192_remastered.jpg

both of them LAB grade.
corals love them for sure !

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back