Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.25 ammonia .5 nitrite 0 nitrate. What is this telling me. Thanks

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently your tank is breaking down Ammonia into Nitrite, however does not appear to be converting Nitrite into Nitrate yet. Cycle is happening though, just have to wait :)

OP
OP
S

Steve34k

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He said the live sand was fish ready. Time to change stores

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I've learned is that Beneficial bacteria & Live sand may help to cycle your tank, however it will still take about a month or so to cycle.

I started with rock that i cured for 1.5 months, then i put that rock into my tank, and added Dr Tim's beneficial bacteria, Live Sand, and my cured rock. I dosed ammonia to 2ppm and did my tests every few days. Still took my tank about a month to cycle. The fastest part of my cycle was Ammonia to Nitrite, the longest part took converting Nitrite to Nitrate.

OP
OP
S

Steve34k

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is nuts. I looked up dr Tim’s. One and only. Says. No need to wait. Just add fish. Why do they make these claims

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure many folks have done it and turned out OK. It just creates a heck of a hostile environment for the fish during the cycle with all the swings.

Here is a link to Fishless cycling. Obviously you can also throw in a fish in there for the "ammonia", but like i said, fish wont be having fun in there.
http://www.drtimsaquatics.com/resources/fishless-cycling

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used Bio Spira many times with adding fish immediately and testing daily. Ammonia always spikes without me catching any measurable trace of it and then Nitrite appeared within a day or two. Nitrate appears usually around day 3 or 4 and then Nitrite slowly disappears over a few days. All in all it takes 5 - 8 days to fully cycle and yes, I have added fish on day one with no deaths from the cycle many times now during my QT process. You have to test religously and be prepared to move the fish if Ammonia or Nitrite get too high though, (this has not happened for me yet though).

For my DT I used FritzZyme Turbo 900 and dosed Ammonia to start the cycle and then added fish on day 7 or 8 after ammonia would disappear within 12 hours and Nitrite was 0 and Nitrate was measurable. All my fish are still alive and perfectly healthy so it does work, you just have to use reliable products, follow directions and test, test, test.

OP
OP
S

Steve34k

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my second attempt at this first one was successful. In the 80s. I bought tank they said no live sand. Put 50lbs of reef rock in there. Sold me 10 damselfish. Added a snowflake eel. Kept it 4 years. Some shrimp and whatnots also. But also used wet dry filter media. Such a difference now.

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am testing daily. What is toxic levels
It should state on your test kit what levels are stress inducing and what levels are toxic.

I have always gone by the following:
Ammonia - Any measurable level of ammonia is toxic to fish
Nitrite - Levels between 0 - 5 ppm are stressful for fish - Levels above 5 ppm can be toxic
Nitrate - Levels between 0 - 40 are safe - Levels above 40 are stressful for fish - Levels above 80 are toxic

Of course this is for fish and does not take coral into account. I have read several articles on Nitrate in reef tanks and the number has ranged from not letting it get above 5 ppm to 20 ppm, but that depends on what corals you are keeping and what your other parameters are etc. As far as Ammonia and Nitrite go, they should always be at 0 once your tank has cycled.

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that ammonia is .2? It's going down at least.

I'm confused. Is the fish still alive? If so, you'd want to dose the tank with prime daily to insure the ammonia isn't toxic.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 49 41.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 13 10.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 27.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back