0   0   0
Fish is alive. I was amazed yesterday no nitrate. And some today

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish is alive. I was amazed yesterday no nitrate. And some today

That's actually what you want to see. Converting the ammonia to nitrate happens pretty quickly, eliminating the nitrate is a slower process.

The fish is living in ammonia. You need to neutralize it using prime daily until your ammonia is down to zero. Prime converts the ammonia to ammonium, which is less toxic to the fish. The bacteria can still consume the ammonium.

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During the cycle you always have a period with both Nitrite and Nitrate, so I am not sure what you mean...

I was told in the chemistry forum by Randy that hobby grade test kits will give a false high nitrate reading if there is nitrite present in the water. I had a similar issue where I dosed ammonia via dr Tim's method, and after dosing ammonia once my nitrate was at 30! I was stumped. After Randy's response I waited until my nitrite tested at 0.00 and sure enough my nitrate made more sense and tested around 5-10. My nitrite was .5 when I got the 30 nitrate reading.

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told in the chemistry forum by Randy that hobby grade test kits will give a false high nitrate reading if there is nitrite present in the water. I had a similar issue where I dosed ammonia via dr Tim's method, and after dosing ammonia once my nitrate was at 30! I was stumped. After Randy's response I waited until my nitrite tested at 0.00 and sure enough my nitrate made more sense and tested around 5-10. My nitrite was .5 when I got the 30 nitrate reading.
Thanks for explaining that. I have personally only used Bio Spira and Fritz Turbo 900 and have not run into any issues with high Nitrite or Nitrate yet, but that is good to know.

OP
OP
S

Steve34k

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I have the fish during cycling will the ammonia converter slow my cycling

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back