Question on feeding frozen food

DraggingTail

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can people share their feeding methods?

With my power heads on the food goes all over and quickly gets filtered out.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can people share their feeding methods?

With my power heads on the food goes all over and quickly gets filtered out.
Are You running any kind of controller (apex, reefkeeper, ect...) on my controller there is a "feed mode" function that turns off all power heads and return pumps and skimmer for 5 minutes to let the fish eat. What kind of power heads do you have? Some that have their own controller have a built in feed mode.

OP
OP
DraggingTail

DraggingTail

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are You running any kind of controller (apex, reefkeeper, ect...) on my controller there is a "feed mode" function that turns off all power heads and return pumps and skimmer for 5 minutes to let the fish eat. What kind of power heads do you have? Some that have their own controller have a built in feed mode.
No controller. Cheap plug in.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No controller. Cheap plug in.
Easiest way then would be to get a power strip that has an on off switch on it and run all your powerhead from that and mount it somewhere you can easily reach it, flip the switch to turn your pumps off, set an alarm so you don't forget to turn them back on, then when everyone's done eating flip the pumps back on ;)

OP
OP
DraggingTail

DraggingTail

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easiest way then would be to get a power strip that has an on off switch on it and run all your powerhead from that and mount it somewhere you can easily reach it, flip the switch to turn your pumps off, set an alarm so you don't forget to turn them back on, then when everyone's done eating flip the pumps back on ;)
Thanks.

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I leave all of my powerheads on but turn my return pump off when feeding. I have all of my pumps plugged into one of these.
717z+5sOFoL._SY879_.jpg

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish grab the food so fast that filtering out is not an issue. I find that they like the powerheads on because the food moves so fast as to look alive. I would advise the power strip approach. But leave the powerheads on and turn off the return pump and skimmer, with the return off, nothing is going into the skimmer or filter socks.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wemo switches are fantastic. If you don't have a controller you turn whatever you have plugged into them off and on on from your phone

I turn off my skimmer and return but leave my wave pumps going. If I am feeding coral directly I will hit feed mode on my wave pumps also

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turn off my power heads but leave my return pump on. My skimmer only runs a few times a day for 2 hours at a time and I have feeding before it comes on in the AM and PM.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just drop the cube in my FFF (Frozen Food Feeder) from Octo Aquatics. It works great for slower distribution and the fish love to hover around it and pick the food off as it comes out.

1.jpg

64Ivy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I leave all my powerheards on as my fish love the thrill of the chase when it comes to feeding time. I DO remember feeding then with the powerheads turned off once and they weren't nearly as interested. Yeah, I lose some to the overflow; 10% maybe, but I'm cool with it.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't turn off a thing. I thaw a cube or two in a small container and then just dump it in. The fish all go wild chasing it around, the corals get whatever comes their way. The CUC gets what ends up on the sand (not too much) and whatever goes over the overflow feeds the 87 billion (just a guess) pods in the sump. Been doing it that way for 30+ years

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my current tank, at first I used Apex Feed Mode to turn down the return pump and powerheads during feeding. But, after a premature return pump failure (which occurred during a Feed Cycle), I'm concerned whether turning a return pump down and then back up 3 times a day every day might not be good for it. So after installing a new return pump I decided not to bother with feed mode anymore. I just thaw the frozen food in some tank water, and then dump it in in a couple of places. Food goes everywhere, shy fish and inverts get more food, and whatever goes in the overflow gets trapped in filter socks which I clean every couple of days. Also, I have a mesh cover on one of my powerheads (to protect a nearby anemone); the mesh traps food, but now the wrasses have learned to pick trapped morsels of food directly off the cover.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I place ecotechs in feeding mode and leave Gyre on and spoon feed the fish little by little until gone. The gyre motion allows suspended bits to reach my corals especially the Euphelia , duncans, candy canes, zoas, etc

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a little tank water and thaw LRS. Every few days add Reef Roids. Hit feed mode on jebao return pump. Make sure food is broken up into small pieces. Pour in tank. All power heads are left on to distribute food. The fish know exactly where I pour the food in and all gather to that one spot. Corals catch the left overs for ten minutes until the return comes back on and then whatever is left goes to the sump. I have a coral banded shrimp down there who enjoys the left overs. Chaeto keeps nutrients next to 0.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I leave the return pump and powerhead on... dump in the thawed frozen food...then, watch the fish go nuts chasing the food around. Very little makes it to the overflow.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 39.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 36 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back